Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Gourami with internal parasite?

My gold gourami suddenly STOPPED EATING 2 days ago and has long STRINGY WHITE POOPS trailing from her. Could this be internal parasites?
If so, how do I treat it?

TIA
Ginger

Old 09-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
does she/he look bloated? stringy white poop can also be a sign of constipation.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thats a good question - would bloating be real obvious? I don't have a lot of experience so I am not sure. Do they also refuse to eat when constipated?
What would I use to treat that? I have already dosed the tank with metrozol.

46 gal. - 1 gold gourami
1 dwarf gourami
1 RTBS
5 zebra danios
ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
for constipation - blanch a pea or 2 and squeeze it out of the skin into the tank. Epsom salts also work for constipation - usually fish do no eat when constipated.

It would look like a bulge and should be a noticeable difference.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I tried the pea thing but she wont eat or even come near for food
How much epsom salt for a 46 gal? I also have a small amount of aquarium salt in tank at this time - would adding epsom salt make the tank too salty?
Also, I have Metrozol (like hexamit) dosing in tank with a water change scheduled for today to add a second dose.
Thanks for all your help!

46 gal. - 1 gold gourami
1 dwarf gourami
1 RTBS
5 zebra danios
ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I recently had two Red Honey Gourami that were constipated. They had that white stringy pooh, less active, and did not eat. I thought it might be internal parasites and I was considering get them medication, but I waited another day and monitored them closely. I also did water changes 20%, then a 5-10% the next day. I didn't do the pea thing or the salt thing, just stuck to getting my water conditions at optimum. They eventually started eating again and after a few days they regained their coloured pooh and were back to their normal selves. I also tried not to overfeed them during this period when they regained their appetite.

My mistake was overfeeding them. My rasbora's always get to the food first so I put out too much food because I thought they didn't get enough. But then I realized that my gourami's seem to always be on the hunt for food, in the gravel, on fake plant leaves, and the tank wall.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:07 AM   #7

I had a fish showing the same symptoms as yours. Put the fish in a hospital tank and treat with "HEXAMIT" (by aquatronics). It contains metranidazole which should help. It worked for me.

Tags
gourami, parasite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com