Gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For treating ich large frequent water changes and higher temp (86F) for two weeks. The ich is likely from poor water quality. Changing only 2 gallons per week on a 29 isn't enough. Hope it all works out :)

Do not change water so often...
Have some plants / snails / shrimps and make it auto sustentable

This works for a few people, most people would just kill their fish taking your advice. I know it's well meant, but it's not the current best way to a majority of us.

I do weekly partial water changes. Sometimes 50% if needed.

Testing your water is the ONLY way to know what your tank is actually doing.

Mariano-we've seen your opinion, please stop repeating over and over to the OP.
everyone's advice is valuable, just understand, that it's not the norm.

Angels will eat Shrimp.

Its a 29 gal with a red tailed shark, two angels, and some ich. I want to fix the last part, but I am vacation (My mother wanted to go the same day that the ich decided to stay).

2g is not enough I agree. Test your water. Do larger water changes.

AND when you say you "Clean your filter" every month ???
STOP that. Just rinse your dirty sponge or cartridge in used aquarium water or conditioned tap only. Straight tap will kill off the good bacteria. You may be getting mini cycles.

I would do at least 10g changes. Get a liquid Master Test Kit.
Or at least take water to your local store. Ammonia and Nitrate and Nitrite are the main ones to worry about. PH isn't usually a big deal.

regards,
hope you save your fish
Tina aka Coursair
(still not a guy )

I know it isn't enough - I am attempting to get a five gallon bucket, but until then, I will do the two gallon twice. Would five gallons be good?

Also, if I get some (true) aquatic plants, that don't die, Would that help (so far, I have had amazing luck at picking out all the stupid semi-aquatic plants that are showing off as true aquatics)?

I know it isn't enough - I am attempting to get a five gallon bucket, but until then, I will do the two gallon twice. Would five gallons be good?

Also, if I get some (true) aquatic plants, that don't die, Would that help (so far, I have had amazing luck at picking out all the stupid semi-aquatic plants that are showing off as true aquatics)?

5g is better than 2g but I recommended 10g and still say aim for that.

Plants do help , but they can only do so much.

Test your water

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This works for a few people, most people would just kill their fish taking your advice. I know it's well meant, but it's not the current best way to a majority of us.

I do weekly partial water changes. Sometimes 50% if needed.

Testing your water is the ONLY way to know what your tank is actually doing.

Mariano-we've seen your opinion, please stop repeating over and over to the OP.
everyone's advice is valuable, just understand, that it's not the norm.

Angels will eat Shrimp.

Coursair, you lnow what I want to say right???

Do not change water so often...
Have some plants / snails / shrimps and make it auto sustentable

I insist.. U stress the fish... No one changes the water in a lake... Rains... Evaporation... Filtration.. Etc

Just do no over stock...

I insist.. U stress the fish... No one changes the water in a lake... Rains... Evaporation... Filtration.. Etc

Just do no over stock...

Ok there is a reason why fish survive in the wild without water changes. It's called biology. The natural Eco/bio systems are for more advanced than what most people can produce in their own homes. Please note it can be done. Natural bodies of water also go through partial water changes. It's called natural evaporation and rain. Most aquariums don't have a colony of anaerobic bacteria to eat away the nitrates so therefore without regular water changes your nitrates will build to toxic levels. Live plants will help but you have to have a severely planted and very under stocked tank for the plants to handle the nitrates. I feel sorry for the fish in your tank and your non scientific analysis of keeping fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also please note that if your water parameters are good and temperatures are close you are not stressing the fish. I actually find my fish are far more active following a pwc.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have to fill that 2 gallon bucket 5 times then you do. I siphon Into empty cat litter buckets and while one is filling I dump the other in the plants or whatever. You are using Prime or something like that I hope? And yes get a thermometer and temp match the water. All good advice about water changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do not use prime or any other additives, but that is because I have well water, which lacks chlorine and other government regulated stuff.

Back
Top Bottom