Green Danio Fins!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamiemast1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Got 48Litre Tank (10/12 Gallons), it's new and the fish are new.

Water started becoming clearer today and less murky. But I've noticed the Zebra Danio fins (and parts of their body), look green, as if it is Algae???

Is this possible? Can it kill them? Is there anything I should do?

There is no algae anywhere else on tank, so not sure it is that, didn't think algae could grow on fish?

Or is this normal and part of the cycle?

Finally, I've only been using the blue light and only in the evening. I've not used the white light yet, could this affect it??

Cheers,
Jamie

jamiemast1 said:
Hello,

Got 48Litre Tank (10/12 Gallons), it's new and the fish are new.

Water started becoming clearer today and less murky. But I've noticed the Zebra Danio fins (and parts of their body), look green, as if it is Algae???

Is this possible? Can it kill them? Is there anything I should do?

There is no algae anywhere else on tank, so not sure it is that, didn't think algae could grow on fish?

Or is this normal and part of the cycle?

Finally, I've only been using the blue light and only in the evening. I've not used the white light yet, could this affect it??

Cheers,
Jamie

Why was the water murky and what color was it? What are your water parameters and is the tank fully cycled?

I've never seen fish with algae on them, but I guess it's possible. I'd suggest stepping up the PWC (water changes) and see if that doesn't help. Sounds like you have a reef light, but why are you just using the blue? I'd run the white myself.

Water murky as thought it was new tank and that's what happened. Tank not fishless cycled (following advice of LFS).

Readings:
Ammonia 0mg/l
Nitrite 0mg/l
Nitrate 25mg/l
pH 7

Been to two other aquarium shops today, and all the zebra danios look same as mine, so it was just me panicking over nothing!

jamiemast1 said:
Water murky as thought it was new tank and that's what happened. Tank not fishless cycled (following advice of LFS).

Readings:
Ammonia 0mg/l
Nitrite 0mg/l
Nitrate 25mg/l
pH 7

Been to two other aquarium shops today, and all the zebra danios look same as mine, so it was just me panicking over nothing!

Your water parameters look great IMO and I'm glad you figured out the green fin issue :D.

Good luck!

Thanks... Ive only had tank for 6 days and fish for 3 days... So was surprised at results.

Take it this is normal? Does it mean my tank cycling well?

Thanks for replying :)

jamiemast1 said:
Thanks... Ive only had tank for 6 days and fish for 3 days... So was surprised at results.

Take it this is normal? Does it mean my tank cycling well?

Thanks for replying :)

Only being 6 days old, my instincts tell me it's not, but your numbers say otherwise. How are you testing your water and did you seed the tank with bacteria from a stable tank?

Here's a link to have in your toolbox (bookmarks are tools too :D) in case those numbers don't hold up.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Testing water with 4 separate test kits. One for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Water into test tube, drops of liquid per instructions, shake wait and check lol.

Did everything precisely, but will keep checking.

jamiemast1 said:
Testing water with 4 separate test kits. One for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Water into test tube, drops of liquid per instructions, shake wait and check lol.

Did everything precisely, but will keep checking.

Sounds like the API FW Master test kit (or similar) to me, so that's a big +1 to you :).

Yep, I'd suggest testing ammo and no2 daily for a while so you can keep a close eye on them and the link I posted will help a lot if any issues come up.

Back
Top Bottom