green terror has white cotton wool type growth on eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbyBoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A number of things happened at the same time on the hottest day last week daughter turned lights on for the full day and pump packed in and heater went wonky and temp shot up,came in from work and small cat dead floating on surface.
green terror gasping for air did a 50% water change new heater and filter and it has started to look as if it is recovering, e.g. swimming about again
but on one eye it looks like a faint white covering while the other i can hardly see the eye and just above the eye the scales are missing.
Any help.
Thanks

It could be caused by Poor water quality, poisoning (Chlorine) or Eye Fluke

IF it is Poor water: Water changes are required.
Poisoning: Make sure to condition tap water.
Eye Fluke: Use medication

Cataracts

Symptoms: White or gray material covering the eyes only.

Treatment: As far as I know, the only treatment specifically designed for this ailment is Eye Fungex by Aquatronics. In the process, special attention should be made to assure that ammonia and nitrite levels stay within accepted measures.

Information: Cataracts are fungal growths on the eyes. Treatment with any aquarium fungicide should work. Its probability increases with water rich in ammonia or nitrates.

now its floating vertically and ocasionally swims to surface then around taank slowly then floats vertically again

...Thought I was the only person who used wonky as a descriptive word *grin*

Check your water parameters Robby (ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes) and see if it is water quality which is making things worse. Even though you did a 50% water change last week, it could still be a problem. If your pump stopped moving water, it could have caused a die-off of the bacteria you need to keep those ammonia and nitrIte levels down.

Its hard to say exactly what the problem is, although I agree that the precipitating factor was the wonky heater and the dead pump. I did some research on eye probs and came up with this:

Eye Problems
Symptoms: Cloudy cornea, opaque lens, pop eye, swelling, blindness.

Cloudy cornea can result from a bacterial invasion. Antibiotics may help.

Opaqueness can result from poor nutrition or a metacercaria invasion (grubs). Try foods with added vitamins and changing the diet to include variety.

Pop eye (exophtalmia) can result from rough handling, gas embolism, tumors, bacterial infection, or vitamin A deficiency. Gas bubble or bacterial infection can be treated successfully with penicillin or amoxicillin.

Blindness can be caused by poor nutrition or excessive light. Lower the light level and change of diet to include lots of variety may help prevent it.

Personally I would go with an antibiotic combined with an antifungal. MarOxy is an antifungal that also has antibiotic properties (its by Mardel), but I have never personally used it and cannot verify how effective it is. I have my fingers crossed for your green terror Robby; sounds like he is in bad shape :(

Dead this morning other fish have been fine for the last week so i guess he couldnt cope with the stress will give it a few more days and think about restocking

eye fungis

I have 2 blood parrots and they have a yellow coloring around there eye's but it's not complete. I've checked around and have noticed the same thing on other's is this a common thing for parrot's to have.

Back
Top Bottom