Green Tiger Barb swimming strangely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FightingFalcon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 4 Green Tiger Barbs, two that I purchased on 12/12 and two that I purchased on 12/14. Each fish is about 1/2 an inch long.
Originally I kept two in one 1.5 gallon tank (no filter or anything extra) and the other two in the other 1.5 gallon tank (similar setup). The pairs of fish seemed quite content, following each other around placidly. Yesterday in the first pair (12/12) I noticed them chasing each other and nipping at each others' fins. I contemplated getting a third fish to break things up a bit, and in the hopes that it would give all of them a "break" so it wasn't just one fish getting picked on, but haven't gotten any more yet.
Today I separated the first pair, because I noticed that the one that was being bullied was at the top of the tank in the corner, on his side, and when he swims, he does so with a jerky motion unlike any of the others who seem to glide along. He seemed close to death. I read on one site that he could be overly stressed. Watching him swim now, he swims with the same jerky motion but with his nose pointed slightly downward. The two now that are still together are starting to chase each other and pick on each other like the originals.
The water parameters are fine, everything within normal (both tanks had fresh clean new water replacing the old before I put them in).
I'm planning on putting them all together in a 5 gallon tank (with no other fish) in a couple weeks. Is this a bad idea?
Would any of you recommend getting a third fish and putting three in a tank? Is there anything that I should be doing?

Tiger barbs need to be in groups along with a heated and filtered tank... 1.5 gallons is WAY too small for these guys, I would just get a 10 gallon tank with filter and heater and have about 7-8 in it, tropical fish need heaters and filters and even though they may be more tolerant it stresses them and they'll die way sooner

Falcon
It would be much better if you housed your troublesome Tiger Barbs in at least a ten gallon tank with 2" of gravel, an Aqua Clear 30 Hob filter and decorations of your choice. You might include a Cory Cat or two for cleanup duties.
Your current setup is much too small to sustain your Tigers lives very long. You can purchase a setup like I noted very cheap. I firmly believe you will enjoy the hobby more and I know your Tigers will get along much better with a larger tank with filtration. Note: you were right with your idea to dilute your Tigers aggression with additional T. Barbs, but your setups are really too small for any additions. Also research, How to cycle an aquarium. Good luck.

Thank you to both of you for responding to my post.
I was aware of the fact that they need a larger tank than what I currently have, and plan to resolve that as soon as possible!
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-10-gal-led-aquarium-kit
Would this be an ideal tank for my Tiger Barbs? I plan to use the live plants I already have, along with roughly 2 inches of gravel and some fake plants.
As for the idea of a Cory Cat, would a Bristlenose Pleco do? Or would the Tiger Barbs go after it?

Back
Top Bottom