“Growth” on female guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessipanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of our female guppies has some sort of growth or something sticking out of her “rear-end” area. I'm not sure what it could be other than perhaps a cluster of infertile eggs that just hasn't completely come out. It's been there for at least 2 hours, probably longer as I hadn't checked on the fish since last night.

About a month ago, while our 5 new guppies were still in QT, we lost our 1 year old male, Bubbles. Pretty sure he died of dropsy as he pineconed a day or 2 before he died. Since then, we haven't had any issues with any remaining fish until today. Last night, all 5 remaining guppies were fine. Tonight, I found one dead pregnant female as well as the female with the “rear-end” issue. This one is still acting completely normal, as are all the other fish. I haven't added anything new to the tank. All I've done in the last month is treat one plant out-of-tank with an h2o2 dip, followed by rinsing it and re-soaking it in water with Prime prior to returning it to the tank. I haven't changed anything in regards to feeding, water changes, etc. Or added any new plants, decor, or stock. The female guppy that died was acting normal yesterday, appeared normal, and ate breakfast as usual with the community. She showed no symptoms of anything abnormal. I did an autopsy on her to verify she didn't have any internal pr external parasites and verified so with a microscope. Nothing, other than being pregnant with at least 10 babies. The only fish we have lost at all have been guppies. All the neons, cardinals, and rummynose tetras have been thriving, as have the pleco, farlowella, and EBR. I'm so confused...lol

Here's the tank specs:

55g, setup in Nov. with a HOB tetratec pf300, IHOB tetra whisper 10-30i, 7 jungle vals, 2 crypts, 1 anubias nana, 1 banana, and 3 sad dwarf hairgrass (was 5...). Decor is a large piece of dw, 1 plastic rock cave, and a few river rocks. Did DIY co2 for about a month, but was too inconsistent so stopped about a week ago. Do water changes every tuesday, usually between 15 & 30% depending on nitrate levels. Always add Prime even though my well water has no chlorine or chloramines in it. Always test water before hand, as well as 24 hrs later. Temp is constantly between 79 & 80.

Current levels (as of tonight) are 0 amm, 0 nitrite, between 10 & 20ppm nitrates (probably from the guppy we lost some time in the last 24hrs). Usually nitrates are below 5.

Cardinals x10
Neons x5
Rummynose x15
Bristlenose x1
Farlowella x1
EBR x1
Guppies now x4

I appreciate any help & advice. Thank you

Forgot the pics of the female guppy with the “growth.”

Attachments

• 1457314115104.jpg
    1457314115104.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 1457314127720.jpg
    1457314127720.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 1457314139796.jpg
    1457314139796.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 1457314151104.jpg
    1457314151104.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 48
Sounds like 2 seperate issues. This looks to me like a egg sac, ive never really had a females do that that i have seen, but i dont think this is any way related to the male, unless the male had some sort of internal issue, and wasnt dropsy but bloat.
Something i learned from jim alderson, i very well know old pro breeder of guppies, is that guppies and mollies are prone only to camallanus worms, they dont really get anything else in their gut like hexima.....

Yeah, I'm not really sure what killed the male...he was parasite free too, and had issues on and off for the entire year we had him. Then randomly bloated and pineconed. I also have no idea what killed the pregnant female yesterday. This female still looks the same, and is still acting mostly normal other than sticking mostly near the surface today. No idea what's going on with these guppies... I also think it may be an egg sac, from the way it looks, but it's still there today. How long should I let it go like this? Anything I could do to help her?

The “bulge” is pretty much gone now, but now she is sticking to the top corner most of the time. I also noticed some clear stringy feces coming from her. Obviously makes me think worms, but there's no sign of them in any other fish and the deceased female was clear of them. I know organ failure can also cause the clear feces, but hopefully that's not it. We'll see if she makes it through the night. If she's still alive in the morning and still acting strange, I'll QT her and go from there...

She's back to normal today. Ate with the community, no “growth,” no stringy poo, and swimming the tank in search of goodies. The male has even started following her again. :)

Hopefully she has no more issues! Still not sure what happened to the pregnant female that died 2 days ago...maybe she just got stuck under the rock where I found her trying to find a safe place to have her babies... :(

And now the guppy that I started this about died. She was fine this morning...looked normal, swam normal, ate with the others....come home from my daughter's school function and she's dead... Second female guppy to die this week. Ugh...

Back
Top Bottom