Growth on my White Skirt Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
I'm worried about my White Skirted Tetra and now all of his tank mates. A few months ago, he had a growth on this face. I moved him to my smaller tank (3ish gallons, Fluval Spec, I know it is too small for him, but I really wanted to quarantine him. At the time it had plants and a snail), did lots of water changes and added Melafix (recommendation of the pet shop...) after a couple of weeks, the growth was almost gone. So, I moved him back home, with the other fish. Over the last two weeks, the growth is back, with a vengeance. It's double the size and actually looks like a growth on a growth and it looks like there is some blood in the growth. I started to wonder if the feisty cardinal tetra was biting or something, so I moved the white skirted back into my smaller tank and started searching every photo of every growth I could find. Nothing seems to match.
Moving him might have been a a mistake, since now there are also cherry shrimp (2 adults and about 6 week old babies).
This morning something that looks like a string is coming out of the growth and there are 5-6 white round spots (maybe 2mm) attached to the glass and one of the plants. These might not be related, at all...but of course they happened at the same time. I don't know anything about Ich, but those spots made me wonder....

I uploaded two photos. You can see the growth fairly well. You also get a glimpse of those white spots on the walls of the aquarium.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
I've been using Tetra Easy Strips, on the advice of my local aquarium shop owner (not the pet store)...please let me know if I need something more accurate. The aquarium guy said he would run fancier tests, if I brought in water samples. I ran out of test strips with my last water change (last Saturday), I'll get more today and add to this post. Last Saturday the results were:
Nitrate: 0-20ppm
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 75 (soft)
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 80-100 ppm
pH: 6.8-7.2
The tank is set at 78, but with the summer it's closer to 79-80.
Questions 3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
His home is the 10-gallon. Set up for just over a year.
He is currently in the 3-gallon Set up for about 6-months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
It's the pump and filtration system that came with the Fluval Spec III(http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariums/Starter-Kits-Desktop/10515).

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Home Tank: 1-bamboo shrimp, 3 ruby tetra 3/4" each, 1 cardinal tetra 1" and 1 white skirted tetra 1.5", 1 Oto.
Current Tank: 1 Nerite, 2 adult Cherry Shrimp, 6 week-old baby cherry shrimp.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Weekly, I change about 20% of the water. Then do a water test the next day.
I've never vacuumed the gravel. It's never seemed to need it.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
6 months. He was a gift.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Nope.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
TetraMin Tropical Fish Food Flakes

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• DSC_0801 (2).jpg
    DSC_0801 (2).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_0795.jpg
    DSC_0795.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 133
Thanks, so much for the support. He's dead, now. All ZERO of your responses really made me feel like this was a supportive, helpful community. Where a new aquarium owner could learn a lot and get solid advice.

I'll unsubscribe now.

I'm sorry I didn't even see this. Sometimes though a fish just gets these "tumors" for no apparent reason.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Frankly, that makes you a bad moderator and I see no point in requesting your help in the future, so I've asked to be unsubscribed.

I took more than an hour, responding to every question in your instructions. You didn't even bother to look.

I took almost six months to determine which forum would provide good support and was hoping to eventually purchase a paid membership. Now, I never want to deal with anyone of you again. Silence is not help.

I'm not a mod. There are lots of threads always being updated and sometimes a thread falls through the crack. I hope that you reconsider.

Edit: start using the API master kit, it is more accurate then the strips.

Frankly, that makes you a bad moderator and I see no point in requesting your help in the future, so I've asked to be unsubscribed.

I took more than an hour, responding to every question in your instructions. You didn't even bother to look.

I took almost six months to determine which forum would provide good support and was hoping to eventually purchase a paid membership. Now, I never want to deal with anyone of you again. Silence is not help.

Bloody hell, you complain a lot.

For what it's worth, I feel that when people open up a thread and see 186 paragraphs they just close it and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That was quite the read. Fish die, not the end of the world, go buy another one! Always a good reason to hit the lfs.. next time maybe bridge the novel? And honestly I've not even seen this thread until now and I'm always checking this forum..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That was quite the read. Fish die, not the end of the world, go buy another one! Always a good reason to hit the lfs.. next time maybe bridge the novel? And honestly I've not even seen this thread until now and I'm always checking this forum..

This it depends upon when you post it, if you notice people on here have their own "specialties" and I usually hang around te sick and injured area (to jack my posts up jkjk) and I never saw this.

This it depends upon when you post it, if you notice people on here have their own "specialties" and I usually hang around te sick and injured area (to jack my posts up jkjk) and I never saw this.

I'm always on the time line on the app, i make it a priority to find threads with no posts and see if I can't help.?

Ya there is a way to select unanswered threads somehow and that's what I do
I'm honored that I was called a mod though...

Just a suggestion- people didn't ignore it to be rude. I never saw this post until now either.

If you do stick around "bump" up your post if no one has replied in like a day or so.

While it sucks no one saw it to reply if it was a glitch where it never posted how is it our fault? There are some really great knowledgeable people on here. I think of you left you would be missing out on some very awesome resources.

The other option- people might not have replied aside from not seeing it but because they have no idea what it was. Had I seen this I only would have said to quarantine and make sure water conditions are perfect.

My question- if no one replied here why didn't you check with your LFS for tips or ideas?

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
I'm worried about my White Skirted Tetra and now all of his tank mates. A few months ago, he had a growth on this face. I moved him to my smaller tank (3ish gallons, Fluval Spec, I know it is too small for him, but I really wanted to quarantine him. At the time it had plants and a snail), did lots of water changes and added Melafix (recommendation of the pet shop...) after a couple of weeks, the growth was almost gone. So, I moved him back home, with the other fish. Over the last two weeks, the growth is back, with a vengeance. It's double the size and actually looks like a growth on a growth and it looks like there is some blood in the growth. I started to wonder if the feisty cardinal tetra was biting or something, so I moved the white skirted back into my smaller tank and started searching every photo of every growth I could find. Nothing seems to match.
Moving him might have been a a mistake, since now there are also cherry shrimp (2 adults and about 6 week old babies).
This morning something that looks like a string is coming out of the growth and there are 5-6 white round spots (maybe 2mm) attached to the glass and one of the plants. These might not be related, at all...but of course they happened at the same time. I don't know anything about Ich, but those spots made me wonder....

I uploaded two photos. You can see the growth fairly well. You also get a glimpse of those white spots on the walls of the aquarium.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
I've been using Tetra Easy Strips, on the advice of my local aquarium shop owner (not the pet store)...please let me know if I need something more accurate. The aquarium guy said he would run fancier tests, if I brought in water samples. I ran out of test strips with my last water change (last Saturday), I'll get more today and add to this post. Last Saturday the results were:
Nitrate: 0-20ppm
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 75 (soft)
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 80-100 ppm
pH: 6.8-7.2
The tank is set at 78, but with the summer it's closer to 79-80.
Questions 3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
His home is the 10-gallon. Set up for just over a year.
He is currently in the 3-gallon Set up for about 6-months.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
It's the pump and filtration system that came with the Fluval Spec III(http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariums/Starter-Kits-Desktop/10515).

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
Home Tank: 1-bamboo shrimp, 3 ruby tetra 3/4" each, 1 cardinal tetra 1" and 1 white skirted tetra 1.5", 1 Oto.
Current Tank: 1 Nerite, 2 adult Cherry Shrimp, 6 week-old baby cherry shrimp.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Weekly, I change about 20% of the water. Then do a water test the next day.
I've never vacuumed the gravel. It's never seemed to need it.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
6 months. He was a gift.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Nope.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
TetraMin Tropical Fish Food Flakes

Thank you in advance for your help.

This is some advise in respect of having white fish-expect trouble. When ever i have white fish they always seem to die. No idea why but I'm guessing bad genes. Same for white cats 99% of the time are deaf and go blind. Steer clear of white fish

This is some advise in respect of having white fish-expect trouble. When ever i have white fish they always seem to die. No idea why but I'm guessing bad genes. Same for white cats 99% of the time are deaf and go blind. Steer clear of white fish

It's irritating how true that is...
My first lot of white fish were a school of White Molly's, they died within 3 days.. for no apparent reason.
Second lot were 5 Albino Socolofi I picked up on Sunday, lost 1 by Monday morning...

It's irritating how true that is...
My first lot of white fish were a school of White Molly's, they died within 3 days.. for no apparent reason.
Second lot were 5 Albino Socolofi I picked up on Sunday, lost 1 by Monday morning...

I had a group of Molly's and the white one got untreatable dropsy. So my advise is for everyone to steer clear of white fish as I have never known one to be good.

Back
Top Bottom