growth on the body. Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkilgore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Betta fish has a growth on his abdominal and his scales are protrude .
He seems fine, he eats, swim, on the head the color is gone a little but he looks normal. I change his water once a week and his living in a nice and clean enviroment. But this growth is becoming bigger day after day. Does any body know what is it and how I can cure it before my fish die?
Thank you, I count on you guys!
Daniela

*nods and agrees with snap*

Its hard to tell with more information, but generally protrusions in the abdominal area combined with scales that look like a pine cone are signs of dropsy. Dropsy is when there is a buildup of fluid in the fish's body and is usually caused by internal organ failure. There can be a number of causes, from disease to high levels of salt in a FW tank to poor water quality. First thing to do is check your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.

my ammonia is 0 and everything else is good. I used filtered water and I condition it twice a week. The water like I said I change it once a week so I don't think is a problem of water quality. He was acting strange lately so to change a little his enviroment since I thought he was bored I dropped in the bow some shell from the salt water tank. ( I obviously washed the shell I think well enough before). Nothing change, he was still acting the same. I also thought that perhaps the shell could have same trace of salt so I removed it and did another good water change. I added lots of plant in it, placed him in a spot with lots of light and from that moment he actually started to act normal, eating and swimming. But than the growth started. I read that they can get tumors,...can that be it? I am going to check the link now.
Daniela

Now that I am looking at the pictures of how they look it is dropsy, I also believed is that.

Dani

Hi...I'm sorry to hear about your betta. One of my bettas died from dropsy. They could possibly get tumors too. Jungle Fungus Eliminator says it helps to clear body bloat-dropsy. It didn't help my betta, though. I would try an anitbiotic like Kanacyn to see if it can help. Sometimes there is not a lot you can do about dropsy, but if you catch it early then maybe the meds could help. You don't say what size bowl or tank your fish is in. I use Kanacyn in a 1 gallon bowl. I mix the powder into 1 gallon of water, fill the betta bowl up about halfway with his regular water, put a cup of this medicine water in, and fill the rest of the bowl with his regular water.

I would really take the shell pieces out. They may forever leach salt. When my husband was a kid, he had a freshwater tank with gold fish. He and his brothers found some nice shells on the beach and wanted to put them in their fishtank. He said they rinsed them very well, but a few days later all the goldfish died. So to be safe, I would never put shells and other saltwater decorations into a freshwater tank.

I have an 1 gallon bowl, and yes I also took off the shells a while ago. I dropped before some drops of Maracyn Plus,....it says it is also for dropsy. Let's hope this will work.

I have my fingers crossed for you and your betta bkilgore; dropsy is really tough to treat.

Back
Top Bottom