Gulping for air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishbix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI I hope someone can get back ASAP
our guppies are staying at the top of the tanks gulping for air, they have been like this for 3 day, we sort advice and were told to keep changing the water until the bacteria cycle has kicked in, the water has been changed 3 times, we have used a mix that removes chlorine called prime and quick start which adds bacteria, we have added salt nothing has worked - we have some water that we put aside with prime added should be remove the fish from the tank and put them in the water we have set aside?????

please help we don't think they will make it through the night!!!!!!!!!

Craig and Janine

Are they still alive? How oxygenated is the water? Do you have an airstone or filter that produces oxygen bubbles for the fish?

Your doing way too much water changes. Your killing off the beneficial bacteria. If you have a bacteria stabilizer treat your tank as if new and start adding bacteria daily. Don't do water changes more then once a week unless your tank is heavily overstocked and a well established tank. Also frequent water changes usually means frequent temperature changes wich I find if more then a degree or two the stress alone can kill fish. Good luck with your fish.

had the water tested today and all the levels are really good, nitrate, pH are good.
the water is murky and then fish are still at the top of the tank - I think we need to aerator, the pet shop I went to today didn't have one appropriate for our tank size....

thanks for getting back to us really appreciate the feedback

Craig and J9

Back
Top Bottom