Guppies disapearing tail!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

etty82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Checked my tank this morning and one of my guppies tails had all but a few strands on it even tho last night he still had a big red one and no sign of illness. I'm now worried about my other fish :(

What size of tank is it? What's your parameters? What other fish are in the tank?

It's 190 litre tank with guppies and 2 small plecos

Might be fin rot. I noticed one of my guppies tail looking like if it's just fading away with no signs of nipping. If it looks like the tail is loosing color or black spots it can be due to ammonia burn, (high ammonia levels).

Could you post your ammonia, nitrite & nitrate readings? Could you get a picture off him. :)

We had all our water levels checked by our local aquarists and they are normal. My husband disposed of him as soon as he saw him :(

etty82 said:
We had all our water levels checked by our local aquarists and they are normal. My husband disposed of him as soon as he saw him :(

Was he dead? It's better to try helping the poor fish then to "dispose" him. I've had two fish with that kind of problems and just quarantined them. Never did they infect other fish.

Yes he was :(. That's why I'm really worried about the others

Just perform a pwc and see if you can spot anything abnormal from other fish. If you do quickly quarantine the sick fish. What is the things you noticed from the dead guppy? Did he have white on its tail or puffiness? More info can help.

What's a pwc please? All the other Fuad are fine. His body had no marks or anything out of the ordinary. Just his tail.

etty82 said:
What's a pwc please? All the other Fuad are fine. His body had no marks or anything out of the ordinary. Just his tail.

It's a partial water change make sure you add your water conditioner. Sorry about your fish :(

etty82 said:

It means Partial water change. Helps lower any bad chemicals in the water. Just make sure your adding water conditioner to the new water.

Oh ok thanks. We always add aqua safe to our tap water.

Just spoke to our lfs and they haven't a clue either. I've been breeding guppies for 9 years and never had this before.

Just spoke to my lfs and they haven't a clue either. I've been breeding guppies for 9 yrs and never had this.

image-3448577673.jpg

Just found another one!! I don't know if you can see but his fins are slowly disappearing and his body is changing colour :(

Yeah I see it... How many fish do you have in the tank? It can be stress what's causing discoloration, if you have fish that are chasing or nipping at them they can stress. Also if you have gotten any nitrate or ammonia spikes for over feeding that can also cause this.

Back
Top Bottom