Guppies dropping dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey 2 days ago I got a otocinclus. And ever sense I got him my female guppies that are about 4 months old are dropping dead I just found 2 dead they were about an inch long. I have lost 3 so far. All the other fish seem healthy so what happens?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428892857.920295.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428892879.419377.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What's your water parameters?

Otocinclus is one of the most harmless fish you can own.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They are good no ammonia spikes or any thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IME, guppies feel more comfortable if surrounded by fresh plants, not only plastic. Reasons: better water quality (lower ammonia and nitrite), place to hide (for new born fry) and part of a their diet... :popcorn:

High range ph- 7.8

Ammonia- 0 ppm

Nitrite- 0 ppm

Nitrate- 20 ppm

Might just be a timing coincidence that this happened when you got the oto. They are harmless. Any other changes? What's your WC routine? Any other fish in there?

I Change water once a week and I've not made any changes and in the tank I have guppies, Mollie's, platy fry, and a danio.

Are they gasping at the surface?
Any fuzziness?
Discolored gills?
Wasting away?
Discolored body before death?

No but when they die they look fuzzy. The show no other symptoms till they die.

No but when they die they look fuzzy. The show no other symptoms till they die.

How long could the guppies have been in the tank dead before you found them?

It doesn't really make much sense for a seemingly healthy fish to drop dead without any outward signs unless there are huge shifts in the water quality.

What are you feeding ?
How often ?
How many males vs female guppies ?

What kind of Danio ?

In your pic, one of the Mollies looks super skinny ?? Maybe just a bad angle ?

How much water are you changing ?

Tetra color once a day 3 males 2 females (plus the female fry that were dying) I have a zebra danio and change 30-40% each week. I have a aqueon 10 filter and a air stone bubble curtain. The tank is at 78 degrees.

They have to be exhibiting some kind of outward signs of disease or parasite, or they wouldn't all be dropping dead unless a toxin or poisin got into the water somehow, im just saying, if you want help, give us more to work with please. We are good fish scientists and doctors, but not psychics.

What more do you want no other fish have died just 3 last week

This morning all fish are and looked good. The showed absolutely no signs of illness or anything. Yet when I got home tonight 2 more guppies died??

Theres really nothing we can direct you in without symptoms. I would try calling the water company to see if any changes in tap water has happened. You could try taking a sample of water in to get tested. Lastly, you could try treating them with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Other than that, with nothing to go on we cant really offer any insight.

Theres really nothing we can direct you in without symptoms. I would try calling the water company to see if any changes in tap water has happened. You could try taking a sample of water in to get tested. Lastly, you could try treating them with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Other than that, with nothing to go on we cant really offer any insight.

+1... It's a hard thing to say that we don't know the answer but sometimes it's unexplainable. I had a dwarf gourami pass away last week. No physical signs, everything else in the tank perfect. It's just a mystery.

If I had to guess its something off in the chemistry. If your regular parameters are in check i would say it's some trace element that is just high enough to be toxic. Even rusty pipes from your tap water can leach nasty stuff.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom