Guppies dying!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alickx08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 10 gallon tank that I started about 3 weeks ago, I filtered the tank for a week with no fish and I added bacteria supplements that would speed along the process and make the tank fish friendly (for that entire week and proper amount following the instructions). I added my guppies about 2 weeks ago, 3 females and 2 males. A male died the first night I assumed it was just the two males fought for dominance and 1 died. 3 days later, two of my females gave birth to around 20 fry. Then this morning one of the females who gave birth died, and the another one as I watched grimly died. I noticed that both the females who died (the two that gave birth) their bodies were whitish all the way around the stomach area. The other females tale when I saw her this morning was completely shredded and the male is acting berserk and swimming frantically (all day). Everything is testing fine nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0 and the tank mechanically filtered, no live planets. The fry from what I can tell are healthy and I have been doing 25% water changes every 2 days. I'm not to sure whats killing my guppies and the remaining female looks sick and I really don't want her to die. For anyone concerned about the fry's, I am currently cycling a 5 gallon just for them and they all are in case in a mesh net in the tank.

So I have a 10 gallon tank that I started about 3 weeks ago, I filtered the tank for a week with no fish and I added bacteria supplements that would speed along the process and make the tank fish friendly (for that entire week and proper amount following the instructions). I added my guppies about 2 weeks ago, 3 females and 2 males. A male died the first night I assumed it was just the two males fought for dominance and 1 died. 3 days later, two of my females gave birth to around 20 fry. Then this morning one of the females who gave birth died, and the another one as I watched grimly died. I noticed that both the females who died (the two that gave birth) their bodies were whitish all the way around the stomach area. The other females tale when I saw her this morning was completely shredded and the male is acting berserk and swimming frantically (all day). Everything is testing fine nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0 and the tank mechanically filtered, no live planets. The fry from what I can tell are healthy and I have been doing 25% water changes every 2 days. I'm not to sure whats killing my guppies and the remaining female looks sick and I really don't want her to die. For anyone concerned about the fry's, I am currently cycling a 5 gallon just for them and they all are in case in a mesh net in the tank.
My guess is the area you bought them from had some kind of parasite. This is the importance of quarantining fish all the time. This might have been an internal parasite, at least sounds like it to me.
I would separate them from the fry immediately to prevent the propagation of it, if that's what it is.

If it is a parasite, what would it be and what chemicals are there to get rid of it. Also it does not explain my remaining females shredded tale fin. I have sadly flushed the last fish so unless I see whiting around the remaining female and male then I guess I would have to quarantine, and that's if a parasite is causing it. Also the whiting came after they both gave birth not before.

If the fin's were somewhat shredded, like rotten, I suspect fin rot. If they all had it, then they were living in miserable conditions when you got them and were probably at a too advanced stage. I suggest bringing the live ones to the fish store and complaining about it.
As for medication, you can get medicated food, but I am not 100% certain this is a parasite. can you show us a picture of the fish you have bought that are still alive(not the fry).

She's in the back the tails wasn't like this yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 61
The male is still also going "crazy". Not sure if she's also pregnant or not, she isn't showing any signs which is the black spot and is moving around barley, just basically floating.

How was her tail yesterday? It looks like fin rot at a some what advanced stage.

Her tail was perfect, as with the other 2 females before they died, and it wouldn't be the filter because I bought one with a gentle pull just because I knew fry was inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom