Guppy colours fading!! what can I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Closetcreep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So today I noticed the colours of some of my guppies are fading. The 11 female guppies have been living in the 80 litre tank for a week now and my 2 males have been in there for 4 days.

I checked the water and everything seems to be fine except for the KH thats a bit high.

3 females have faded a bit. But I'm specially concerned about Valyk, one of my moskow blue males, has faded drastically. He used to be almost black and literally has turned grayish-blue in the last 24 hours. I would post pictures but I don't know how to do that from my phone :(

what can I do to bring back the colour of my guppies?

20160918_234616.jpg

20160918_235041.jpg

20160918_234755.jpg

20160918_234953.jpg

ok, I tried to upload the pics.

There is a photo of what the tank currently looks like, a few puctures of how faded Valyk's colour is and a comparison with my other moskow blue male Orne who hasn't faded at all.

He seems to have faded a little more today

What can I do to stop this?

Are they showing any behavioral symptoms of a disease?
I feed mine a specific flake food that enhances colors, it works.
Different colors will come out in different light, maybe your led lights just dont bring out the natural green in the guppy, green is a hard color to tell, most of the time they (green guppies) just look greyish/blue.
I feed mine TopFin Color-enhancing tropical flakes

As far as I know I haven't seen any symptoms of illness. The lighting in the tank is not LED, its a halogen lamp. To be honest I don't really feel like feeding them colour enhancing flakes, I don't trust the ingredients these might contain and I think that the situation with Valyk right now is medical, not aesthetic.

Like I said, Valyk is a moskow blue male and was exactly as dark as my other male Orne. So green is not exactly a colour I should be seeing in him...

He has stopped fading but has stayed a greyish colour and I don't know what could be wrong or what I could do to make him turn his dark blue colour again :c

Could you have gotten a dyed guppy? You just had it for a couple days....

Is that even a thing?? XDDD

To be honest I don't think so, I got him from a professional fish store, they keep their animals in top condition and buy from reputable breeders. So I doubt the fish would have been dyed, and if he was dyed I think that Orne should have been too and he remained his dark colour.

Today I noticed that Valyk regained a bit of his darkness, I guess he was just stressed over the new tank and fish?

Is that even a thing?? XDDD

To be honest I don't think so, I got him from a professional fish store, they keep their animals in top condition and buy from reputable breeders. So I doubt the fish would have been dyed, and if he was dyed I think that Orne should have been too and he remained his dark colour.

Today I noticed that Valyk regained a bit of his darkness, I guess he was just stressed over the new tank and fish?
Well could be. Haha but it's true, they may be losing their colours due to stress.

Give them good water quality, plenty of good quality food, warmth 78-82f , and a sleep cycle (yes, they need sleep, one of the few fish that do actually sleep) and see if they dont perk up after awhile, probably just stressed.

Back
Top Bottom