Guppy died of white stuff with white poop. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased 2 guppys at petsmart.

One passed away about a week ago. my parameters were normal
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate .2-.5

The first guppy was pooping whitish stuff and eventually died.

Today I saw that the other guppy I bought was covered in white from head to tail and was also pooping white stuff. It also just does but this one died between yesterday night and this morning.

I have increase the temp to about 84f just incase it was fungus.

What else should I Do now? .
Will this be contagious to my other fish PLEASE HELP!!

Tank is 30 gallons (36 inches long)
An angel
3 guppys
Bolivian ram
2 kuhli loaches
4 dwarf gourami

Do the other fish have any white spots on them like grains of salt? Then it's white spot. The whole fish white and it's poo? Never heard of anything like that

No the other fish don't have any white spots. I'll do a 50% WC in about 2 hours but other than that is there anything I should do?

I think white poops can sometimes mean stress, and a white film can be caused by a too low pH. Do you think your pH was v different from where they had just come from?

I'm honestly not sure. They have been doing fine for the last 3 weeks and out of nowhere they got sick.

No I cannot it passed on already. The guppy had patches of white from head to tail fin. It wasn't completely all over. Sorry if I confused some people with this.

By any chance, are my other fish in danger of getting the same thing?

If you say the guppy is dead then the other fish should be ok for now. But if the cause of the problem is not found it could happen again. Is it only 1 guppy that you have ever seen with this problem or have there been other fish?

I purchased the 2 guppys at the same time. The first one was just pooping white then died and the 2nd was pooping white but also had patches if whitish stuff in it and it died also.
As far as the other fish, they look and seem perfectly fine.

I would go back to where you got the guppies and query wether they know any of the other guppies they have sold or have had this problem. I am sorry but I don't know hopefully whoever sold it to you does.

Definitely go back to the store you got them from and possibly take the deceased with you. Sounds like some form of a fungus infection. Whilst the guppy was still alive was it swimming normally even with this white stuff on it?

I have had a look in my books and from what you say it sounds like Saprolegnia. I would definitely get some fungus treatment from the fish store and add to your tank as it could well have spread. Keep your eyes peeled.

Okay ad far as How the fish were acting the first one was acting sick. Staying in one spot rapidly swimming then sinking. The second one was acting pretty good like nothing was happening to him.
Okay so fungus treatment. Do you happen to recommend one or any should be fine?

Tetra fungus guard, API Fungus Cure or interpet anti-fungus are all good

Just throwing this idea out there

1) white poop could be from internal parasites

2) fungus could be secondary infection after stress...

Did the guppies ever flash? Were they bloated? Did they swim eratically?

Just throwing this idea out there

1) white poop could be from internal parasites

2) fungus could be secondary infection after stress...

Did the guppies ever flash? Were they bloated? Did they swim eratically?

Yes the first one was super bloated to the point that it died from getting stuck on the filter. Though it would just stay in one spot during his time he was in my tank.

You could consider using api general cure as a precaution... treatment is pretty quick and not much effort.

Otherwise just keep the water pristine and your fish should be alright

Back
Top Bottom