Guppy Disappeared!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My female leopard guppy disappeared! I looked all in the tank and no where to be found... I lifted the colosseum up and not there. :-(

29g tank:

Adults
-- 1 large 3.5" Dalmatian Molly
-- 1 Black Molly
-- 1 Mickey Mouse Platy
-- 1 Guppy
-- 1 Oto
-- 1 Mystery Snail

Juvies/Fry
-- 1 1.5" Twinbar Platy
-- 4 1/2" Mickey Mouse Platies
-- 6 tiny Molly fry
-- 2 tiny Platy fry

I'm in the process of re-homing a lot of the fish... I'm going to tear down tank and start up new one with only a current fish or two...

This is a long shot scenario but I do know this to be true first hand. If a fish is floating around after it dies, it can get stuck to the filter tube. And if your snail happens to be out and about, and comes across the dead fish, it will devour the fish down to the bone. Check your filter cartridge, and don't be shocked if you find some bones.

Sanfranman said:
This is a long shot scenario but I do know this to be true first hand. If a fish is floating around after it dies, it can get stuck to the filter tube. And if your snail happens to be out and about, and comes across the dead fish, it will devour the fish down to the bone. Check your filter cartridge, and don't be shocked if you find some bones.

I have an intake sponge over my filter cause of the fry...
Perhaps snail found guppy before it floated while she was still laying on gravel? My snail is almost always out and all over the tank all the time..

That happened to me when my black moscow female died of an unknown diesease. My snail destroyed her body.

emerald76 said:
That happened to me when my black moscow female died of an unknown diesease. My snail destroyed her body.

This has definitely been the case.... I did a deep cleaning the other day and collected all the fish. Separating ones I was keeping and ones giving away to someone, catching fry, etc and there was definitely no remains.... Being as I had a sponge over filter no chance of being sucked up..

Make sure to sake out all the decor and check in your filter. I just recent;y (SAT) found 3 platy fry and 1 guppy fry living in my filter! Its an aquaclear. I have also found a whole guppy (body) In the filter only thing missing was a small piece of the tail .

Oceangirl said:
Make sure to sake out all the decor and check in your filter. I just recent;y (SAT) found 3 platy fry and 1 guppy fry living in my filter! Its an aquaclear. I have also found a whole guppy (body) In the filter only thing missing was a small piece of the tail .

There was no way to get into the filter because of the intake sponge covering...
I have all plastic plants and a colosseum... The other day everything was moved out and I drained down to the gravel line... It was needed :) my snail is the convicted suspect ..

I have had the same thing happen. I have lost one of my guppies. I can not find him anywhere, I have checked all of my decorations and on the gravel floor. I've checked the filter and so far I don't see any thing that could lead me to believe he was sucked it, plus he was pretty big. I'm not sure what happened, I don't have any agressive fish that would attack, maybe after it passed a way a fish would maybe eat the body.

I've lost a Bolivian ram in the same manor.

She was looking rather thin and washed out not really growing. Every so often she would pop out of my Pygmy Chain Sword carpet.

Then one day I stopped seeing her. No remains, no ammonia spikes, nothing.

I can only assume her body decomposed somewhere in my planted 50g community and because its not heavily stocked and over filtered along with a moderate amount of plants she became Nitrates.

These things as unfortunate as they are do happen.

J

Not to hijack the thread but What do you do if you wake up and you find a dead cory being eaten by another cory? i have no idea why the one died, just died. It turned kind of a reddish shade, still ate and swam fine. Then boom dead as a doornail. Treat the tank? Gravel vac?

Oceangirl said:
Not to hijack the thread but What do you do if you wake up and you find a dead cory being eaten by another cory? i have no idea why the one died, just died. It turned kind of a reddish shade, still ate and swam fine. Then boom dead as a doornail. Treat the tank? Gravel vac?

All I would do is remove carcass, test params and PWC if needed and watch for any signs of illness in the tank.

J

Oceangirl said:

With any death I do a gravel vacc and 50% pwc...

Back
Top Bottom