Guppy Dying? How Do I Treat Her?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simon24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 10 L tank with 3 guppies one male and two females. The sick guppy is the pregnant one, here are some symptoms she's having.

- Heavy breathing
- Gasping
- Reddish gills
- (pregnant)
- antisocial
- aggressiveness
- Not really hungry
- Clear string hanging out from her bottom.

- Now she's having troubles swimming!!!! Her tail is getting to heavy it's like she's falling vertically down. These are early stages of a bladder disorder.

I had an older guppy who died the next day having those symptoms!

I' trying to treat her by:

- doing a 70 - 80 % water change to rule out chemical issues. Ammonia, nitrates etc.
- I'm starving the tank for 2 days and feeding them crushed cooked peas.
- Added salt to the aquarium

Her symptoms are getting worse and i don't know what else i should do???

PH 7,5
amm/No3/No2 unknown

After 48 hours she started to move around and hang with the other guppies, but there is still the heaviness on her tail which makes the swimming more difficult.
There is another issue which is bothering me, the fact that she's not eating. Will it have some effect on her pregnancy? This is the third day that she hasn't eaten anything and I'm afraid that she will die because of this. should I force feed her? but that will stress her too much i guess, help please!

the clear string sounds like it could be parasitic in nature. this may be the underlying cause but there could be a secondary problem. You have done the right thing so far. Adding an anti parasite such as Tetras fizzing tabs, might help if it isn't too late. It would help the remaining fish if in fact this one is carrying a parasite. Fancy guppies can be difficult, especially those that are mass produced in Asia. They are not the hardy fish that fuelled the hobby in it's infancy.

Back
Top Bottom