Guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my two month old guppy fry has turned listless and sort of gasping at the tank surface near the filter. I'm doing a gravel vacuum tomorrow and do them twice a week so it can't be ammonia. She is about a half inch long and will still eat but isn't growing terribly fast or coloring up like her sisters.The others are fine. I don't want to cull her. I was thinking a lack of oxygen? There are no missing fins or any blood anywhere.

She's probably just the runt of the litter. It happens and it's very natural. She'll either survive or she won't. If she doesn't there's a reason why she doesn't. It's just something you have to learn to live with when you let your fish spawn.

Guppy Fry Help

One of my two month old guppy fry has turned listless and sort of gasping at the tank surface near the filter. I'm doing a gravel vacuum tomorrow and do them twice a week so it can't be ammonia. She is about a half inch long and will still eat but isn't growing terribly fast or coloring up like her sisters.The others are fine. I don't want to cull her. I was thinking a lack of oxygen? There are no missing fins or any blood anywhere.

Hello e...

I've noticed this before in Fancy Guppies. The best thing to do is to start an aggresive water change routine, by removing and replacing half the tank water every week. In addition, raise the water temperature to 80 degrees and if possible add a small filter to the tank.

The combination of lots of pure, treated tap water, a little added warmth and oxygen will help.

B

Thanks!
I did a huge gravel vac and water change today and the little girl finally got some color! I also added a gold dust cross lyretail Molly and a Cory. She loves following around the Molly and chasing the Cory before he chases her! So cute

The tank is a ten gallon with a filter and heater set to 82

LyndaB said:
Were you not doing water changes before?

I was and am doing 50% every week and my levels are-
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
7.6 PH
This is a cycled tank.

You shouldn't have 0 nitrates unless your tank is heavily planted, is that the case?

What test kit?

I have 4 fast growing plants- Riccia, foxtail, an unidentified, and unintentional duckweed. The foxtail and unidentified give me 2-3 shoots per day ( I'm willing to sell, lol) and a cm to an inch of growth each overall per day

Test kit is API master freshwater liquid test kit, I am going to be adding some more plants soon also

This doesn't explain your 0 nitrates. Are you sure you're doing that test right? You have to really bash that bottle against a hard surface to break up the crystals inside.

Oh, I just shook it. I'll test again and do that then. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom