Guppy fry are flashing, but no spots. Is it ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gu2high

Aquarium Advice Freak
My guppy fry are flashing when they go down to bottom by rubbing their fat belly on everything. I wonder whether it is a way for them to stir food up or their way to 'comfort' themselves for their fat belly to help digest food, or they have ich. I do not see any spots on any fry, neither any other problem.

The fry are about 1 month old, 3/4 inch in length in a 10gal breeding tank. They grow very fast, diet on hatched baby brime shrimp and fry foods and Hikari Fancy Guppy Food.

Usually if there is flashing there is some problem. Whether it is ich or not I don't know. You could as a precautionary measure, raise the temps to 87 and add extra aeration. I've never had guppy fry do that. Have you added anything new to the tank?

You could just wait it out and see what happens, I would probably raise the heat to be safe. If it is ich, the spots should start to show soon.

I added two newly bought young male guppies 3-4 days ago, but they don't have spots either. When I bought them, I check the store tank and all guppies there are clean. To be safe, I raised the temperature to 89F yesterday and will maintenant that for 3 days, then keep 87F for another 10days.

All fish are fine and very active. The typical flashing is, fry go to bottom to search food, then flash continuesly and very quickly for 4-15 times on gravel. It is somewhat funny.

Well, through all the heat treatment, etc. I have found no problem at all. Now I can say safely that when guppy fry are flashing after their meals, it is because their tummy are quite full and they do flashing in order to help digesting food or avoid swollen tummy problem.

Back
Top Bottom