Guppy got stuck, now gasping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Didge3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got home from work today to find one of my 3 guppies had wedged himself between the pump and the glass, no idea how long he'd be there but I moved the pump straight away and he broke free, seems able to swim fine.
However I've noticed he is now gasping at the top of the water constantly, the other 2 are completely fine, swimming about as normal. I did a 50% water change in the hope it might bring the water conditions up but he's still gasping.
My pump is creating a good amount of movement at the surface (or so I think it is?) I don't have any air stones though.
I'm not sure he'll last the night at this rate, any advice??

Sounds sorta like it mightve hurt his breathing ability being crushed a little? But I'm not sure, if you did a 50% wc, that would help any bad parameters and the others are fine... you could try doing another wc and adding cooler water since it has more dissolved oxygen to help him. What size tank is it? Tanks mates, temperature, water parameters could also help. Sounds like he got hurt today though and it doesn't sound good ? hopefully he makes it.

Never do a water change if fish is already uncomfortable. Surface agitation is the best way for oxygenation. Better than air stone. You have that already so now alp you can do is hope she recovers. Actually sometimes when fish is about to die it hides itself or goes in close corners like between pump and glass. I am not a very expert aquarist but I never recommend a water change specially when fish is already in distress.

I did the water change in a panic hoping it'd get more oxygen into the water, oops.
He's still at the top gasping this morning, he's not completely idle though, he swims back and forth across the surface, dips down every now and again.
The other 2 guppies are fine.
Its a 8g tank with just the 3 guppies, nothing planted in it.
He only picked at his food this morning, barely ate. I'm fearing maybe he damaged himself

Didge
Healthy fish don't usually get themselves in situations you described. If your water parameters are fine, then the problem is likely parasites or disease. Might consider netting that one out as to lessen the chances for disease to infect the tankmates.

When i see a sick guppy i toss it and buy more if needed.
If you let it die in the tank, it will make them all sick (it can trust me)
Guppies are curious and will gladly nibble on a dead body

Back
Top Bottom