Guppy has Crooked Tail and is Spinning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phloxy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the past 2 months my female guppy's back/tail has become bent down, and slightly to the side. It never seemed to bother her so I assumed it was because one of my plants became overgrown and she doesn't like swimming through it so it made her spine hunched (almost like someone with bad posture?).

Within the last week-week and a half I've noticed her trying to swim more, but instead she just darts around in circles very fast. (I took most of that plant out and also took out the one decoration I had).

I looked up what could be causing the crookedness and the most common thing that comes up is fish TB. It's freaking me out very bad but that's the only thing I've noticed that would hint at that disease.

One thing I've been wondering is how common rickets is, and if the crooked tail could be causing the twirling? I only suspect this to be a possible cause because my brother was left to watch my fish for a month while I was still at school (had to bring them home early since I had to take the bus back at the end of the year), and he always has the curtains closed. He also severely overfed them and their water was very nasty when I came home, so I switched the water bit by bit so they wouldn't go in shock like some of my guppies a few months ago.

Also, what are other possibilities that could be causing this? She is eating fine, and has a darkening gravid spot so she must be carrying some fry.

Any help/advice will be appreciated so much! I just want to make sure she's going to be okay, as well as the other fish. Even if her spine remains crooked, I just want to make sure it isn't painful or contagious. :fish1:

Hi, is it just the tail that is curled and nothing else the matter? If the fish is wasting away or has ulcers or nodules or dropsy then it could be bacterial (of which TB would be one). Reading above I wonder if it is something else though.

If she is very young / first time with fry it may be this is an issue in itself. Just something isn't sitting correctly and is putting pressure where it shouldn't.

It's just genetics.

Another option would be water chemistry. It would be worth checking the whole lot, including gh and kh if you have those tests.

Rickets - an interesting idea. Would need ph, kh and gh I think to test that idea. If the water is very soft and acidic, possible although I've never seen it. Included some articles below:

Shimmies - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

Guppy Tank Conditions: The Ideal Water Parameters for Your Guppies - Guppy Fish Care

Overcoming the Shimmies in Tropical Fish

Sometimes female guppies of mine after several sets of fry they're backs will become hunched. It's really hard on their bodies.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Sometimes female guppies of mine after several sets of fry they're backs will become hunched. It's really hard on their bodies.

Any particular ones out of interest like young or old ones?

I've had old mollies get kinked or seem to have lost tail function. They last for a few months then go.

But they were mature adult and after about 3-4 sets I'd notice the physical deformities

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure on how many sets with mine but usually had them for a few years with no previous troubles.

Your welcome. They always seem to go soon after that happens regrettably. I personally think it's how often and how consistently they are carrying fry

Check out their gills. If they are breathing hard and gills are stickout out then thats what they have. Guppies will clamp and droop, and there are often secondary symptoms like bacterial and fungal infections. Really, It sounds like gill flukes, cured with praziquentel. Good water quality is a must during this time for them, especially to remove the larval stage of the parsaite.

Back
Top Bottom