guppy help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ibn219

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i have 26 gallon tank mature i have 8 black neons
7 glow light neons
5 king tetras
1 pea puffer
2female guppies
several ramshorn snails (puffer food)
I cant seem to keep.male guppies i have had several batches of fry
And all the fish are heathy
my ph is 8
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 right out of tap i use nitrazorb 55 gall filter in one pump (rejuv 1 a month)
A 55 to 60 dbl filter with carbon filters in other
Monthly 50% water changes
Plants dwarf lily and tall grass and java moss
Male guppies keep dying on me my females are strong heathy and fertle
i have 7 fry 2 diff batches in seperate tank
just cant figure this out tank temp78
Oh i have 1 cory cat too
Any ideas maybe female beating off lil rapist a 2 to one ratio is small

Ok i have 26 gallon tank mature i have 8 black neons
7 glow light neons
5 king tetras
1 pea puffer
2female guppies
several ramshorn snails (puffer food)
I cant seem to keep.male guppies i have had several batches of fry
And all the fish are heathy
my ph is 8
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 right out of tap i use nitrazorb 55 gall filter in one pump (rejuv 1 a month)
A 55 to 60 dbl filter with carbon filters in other
Monthly 50% water changes
Plants dwarf lily and tall grass and java moss
Male guppies keep dying on me my females are strong heathy and fertle
i have 7 fry 2 diff batches in seperate tank
just cant figure this out tank temp78
Oh i have 1 cory cat too
Any ideas maybe female beating off lil rapist a 2 to one ratio is small

My guess is that your tank is improperly maintained stocked and
Dirty.

First of all pea puffers or dwarf puffers do much better in a species only tank. They are very aggressive and produce a lot of waste for their size. Also a monthly water change is not enough you need to do a 50% water change every week to keep toxins down. Whenever you add more guppies they most likely die because it overstocks the tank even more and because they are new they are under even more stress then the others.

resonse

The pea puffer has never shown aggression towards any of the other fish and minds his own buissness always on the prowl for his next meal he has went after guppy fry so I put them in separate tank I have 4 tanks 55gal 26gal 10gall 3gall all well maintained. The 2 larger tanks are all tetra as you can see the 26 is smaller breed tetras the puffer was recommended by my LFS to control snail problem an exotic fish dealer called just fish. I just like the colorful guppies and bred them easily. The tank is border line over stocked but also over filtered and tested regularly

The pea puffer has never shown aggression towards any of the other fish and minds his own buissness always on the prowl for his next meal he has went after guppy fry so I put them in separate tank I have 4 tanks 55gal 26gal 10gall 3gall all well maintained. The 2 larger tanks are all tetra as you can see the 26 is smaller breed tetras the puffer was recommended by my LFS to control snail problem an exotic fish dealer called just fish. I just like the colorful guppies and bred them easily. The tank is border line over stocked but also over filtered and tested regularly

Over filtration will help but not very significantly. The puffer should be in a species only tank. My guess is that it's not fully grown that's why its not very aggressive. If your tank is as well maintained and clean as you say your new guppies should not be dying. IMO there is a problem here that needs to be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom