Guppy is sick and pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattoid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, does anyone know what might be wrong with my female guppy? She is pregnant, but I think she's got a few days yet. She started hanging out in corners with 'sad' fins yesterday. I isolated her in the fry net thinking she was about to give birth until I researched it a bit and took her out when I got home a few hours ago.

Apologies for the blog like info about to ensue, just want to provide as much info as I can.

4'x18"x18" (65 US gal) planted. External canister, cycled smoothly. Added fish safe osmocote root tabs at about 10% recommended dose. 20% water change 24 hrs ago.
PH 6.8
nitrite 0
nitrate about 1-4ppm
ammonia rose to .015-.020 (maybe root ferts?) in tonight's test
3 m 7 f guppies added 4 days ago
7 zebra danios
4 neon tetras
4 corydoras (bronze & peppered)
2 juvenile m dwarf gouramis
2 juvenile angels
1 f 1 m bristlenose (about 7-8cm respectively)
feed for tank - discus pellets, algae tabs, fresh cucumber 3 of every 4 days. started black worm tonight but the angels, neons and 1m guppy got them all - only small amount.
Added wisteria to tank from same aquarium same day as guppies. Also feed liquid fert at recommended dose each water change and flourish excel every other day at recommended. My DIY co2 ran out a couple of days ago and won't redo until I work out a better option. Dechlorinate, age water (only for a few hrs), add blue granule treatment stuff...and bio starter stuff about an hour after changes.

Any hints would be a great start as I haven't been able to find anything on the internet yet.

Thanks...!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Her belly doesn't look as full here as it has. Based on further googling, I think it may be fish TB. Does anyone recognise these symptoms in the photo above?

Fish TB can't really be diagnosed by pics. But it looks very ill, for sure. I wouldnt be surprised if she passes before she gives birth. Guppies seem to be having a lot of issues these days. So inbred, so MANY are bred, and some farms are known to have TB as well. Nothing you can do short of euthanasia if is TB.

Thanks for the reply. I will quarantine this and any other potential sick fish as soon as I am able to prepare a separate tank. I'll also look at euthanising if she worsens or shows no improvement by tonight. I have found this website that may help if any others viewing the thread have a similar issue: http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/articles/mycobacteriosis.html

Back
Top Bottom