Guppy Paralyzed yet Still Living???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HyperFerret

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a guppy who appears to be paralyzed from the "waist" down. She can't move her caudal fin at all. Infact her what used to be fanned out tail is now solidly formed into a sharp point. Also, her lower body doesn't even move, just kinda drags behind her. I thought she was just dieing.

Well she's still alive and she's been living like this for about a week now. She usually stays on the bottom and, from what I've seen, can't seem to swim very high. She swims using only her pectoral fins. All other fins are angled sharply into a point. But with her pectoral fins, she swims all over the place. And she still eats well.

:confused: Is there something I can do for her? What caused or is causing her condition? All the other fish are just fine. This is happening to only her.

She may have a bacterial infection. Is there any discoloration on the rear fins? I have had fish afflicted like this and have never had any success saving them.

No, her fins are still yellow as they were before. I'm really surprized she's still living! I was sure she would be dead the next day ... and then the next day ... and then the next ... Now that she's still living I feel bad I didn't make sure I couldn't do anything before now.

Likely there isn't much you could do. You could try QT'ing her and treating her with a bacterial medication.

What is QT? Will the pet store know what I'd be referring to? Will I need to place her in a tank alone or will it be okay being used in the same tank with all the other fish. (guppies, danios, molly) Will it be safe for fry?

QT is quarantine tank. You can either use another fish tank or set up a clean rubbermaid container with a bubbler and a heater. It would be best if she were on her own.

Oh ... Qt ... Quarantine Tank ... I knew that ... :rolleyes: I feel stupid now, lol. I'll probably use a 10 gallon, the rubbermaid container would be too easy for my cats to access. I'll go to the fish store and get some type of bacterial medication for her. I noticed today she is swimming the full height of the tank from bottom to top. She is still eating well. I make sure she always has the opportunity to eat. Also noticed today, she had a bowl movement. That's good, right?

My fish is doing the same

No, her fins are still yellow as they were before. I'm really surprized she's still living! I was sure she would be dead the next day ... and then the next day ... and then the next ... Now that she's still living I feel bad I didn't make sure I couldn't do anything before now.

My tank has cycled and my fish started with head standing, after Qt her in salt water she came alright for short peroids of time, had 21 babies the went on her side and swims like this for last 3 weeks still eating, poos normal colour of food but half her body seems like she can't move except her pectoral fins, I have her in a breeder floating tank, shallow so not to tirer her out too much - what did you do for your fish - what should I do,
thanks Dona:-?

Back
Top Bottom