Guppy, possible Fin Rot, unsure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 3 Guppies in a tank with 5 Harlequins and 2 Amano shrimp. One of my guppies in particular has been showing strange signs lately. When i first got him over a month ago it was very active and constantly swimming around. However over the past week and a half hes been acting strangely. He would sit in one area of the tank and just float there for hours, barely moving.

I have a power head and he would sit on top of it and basically beach himself on it. If i tap the glass he moves and reacts as normal. This morning however i noticed there was a fracture in the middle of his tail, and all of today hes beached himself on top of the power head (which is close to the water line). He still eats, and the only time he moved around was during feeding time. I figured this might be an onset of Finrot, but i am still unsure. I added a small amount of salt as preliminery efforts.

The other 2 Guppies are acting as normal, and in fact one of them has gone from very shy and slow moving to very active since i got it. Both Guppies have mostly intact tail (few marks from fighting and nipping, but nothing extreme). Ammonia/Nitrites are at 0, Nitrates less than 5 PPM. PH at 7.4, temperature around 78 - 80 degrees. Any advice or input on this? Trying to catch it early before it becomes a serious issue.

When he was active he was usually the one that would harass the other guppies. The other 2 Guppies do fight with each other, but not as much as this one would with them. So it might be possible that they turned on him. But he would still be swimming around right? Hes been laying in one spot for hours on end, not even swimming. hes breathing rapidly as well. He is still capable of swimming, because i saw him in two different spots since last night.

Back
Top Bottom