Guppy scales pointing out? Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiarna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It's hard to get a photo, but my pregnant guppy has her scales sticking out, she looks like a puffer fish. She seems happy and swimming and eating fine. I have excluded her from the other fish incase it is contagious, what is this and why is she doing it? TIA ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420353362.842039.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like dropsy. It isn't a disease, more a consequence of poor water conditions. It's highly unlikely she'll survive if it is dropsy. If you google it, you can see fish looking exactly like that.

I've done water testing and it is fine. Water quality can't be too bad because the tank has breeding bristlenose and guppies. Any other causes?

I've done water testing and it is fine. Water quality can't be too bad because the tank has breeding bristlenose and guppies. Any other causes?

Like I said, it's not a disease in itself. She must have gotten weak at some point (stress or even the fact that she's pregnant) and caught it.
Your other fish aren't displaying the same symptoms because they are healthy.

To help you understand a bit better, think of yourself as having a cut on your hand, you are prone to infections and other things. People without cuts won't get those infections. Your fish, for whatever reason, has a weakened immune system like you would if you had a cut.

If that makes any sense...?

Back
Top Bottom