Guppy with Ich or Fin Rot or What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know what is wrong with the guppy or what to do. Raise temp to 86 and add aquarium salt if it is ich?

Should I return him to Petco? Euthanize him so whatever he has doesn't spread?

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Male Guppy. Ragged tail fin. Today just noticed some white spots on his pectoral fins. His appetite has been less than the other guppies (2 females). He moves side to side quickly--shimmies?? Some people say male guppies shimmy to impress females, other times it is a symptom of disease, so I'm confused.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Today's readings were Ammonia .25, Nitrite between 0 to .25, and Nitrates 20-40. Temp is usually steady between 78-79F. PH is high-7.6 or higher (today ordered the high range ph test).

I do daily water changes. Yesterday I bought Prime and added it in for the first time today.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

25 gallons. It has been running since 2/6. Fish added Saturday.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Aqueon QuietFlow 30
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

3 guppies. They are pretty small 1 inch to 1.5 inches maybe.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I vacuum the gravel every day. Some days I change about 3-4 gallons of water and some days I change 5-7 gallons.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

I've had the fish since Saturday 2/25. I floated the bag for 15 minutes, added a cup of my aquarium water to the bag for 15 minutes, then the fish went into the aquarium.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

No.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

They've been having ordinary flake food. Eventually, I'd like to get them some frozen food or some brine shrimp.

So, your tank parameters are high. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? Good job with the pwc daily, but I suggest doing larger ones to keep those parameters down a bit.
It sounds like your fish may have both ich and fin rot. To treat ich, raise the temp slowly to at 86-88 degrees and add salt (dissolve it in separate water first before adding it to the tank, I can't remember how much off the top of my head, but you can google it). Keep up this treatment for at least a week after the last visible symptom disappears. The salt will also help the fin rot issue. :)
Ich is quite treatable. It quite likely that bits have already fallen off into the substrate so just returning the sick fish would likely not be enough to spare your tank from ich.

Back
Top Bottom