Guppy with odd growth/parasite need advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Advocate01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks,

Sorry my first post has to be a question but I am really stuck and need help. I have just received delievery of a batch of guppies brought from a 'breeder' though I have serious doubt about that now.

Aside from messing up the order, I ordered one male and one female of each of their 6 breeds, a total of twelve fish. I received 16 fish randomly assorted. One female was DOA but I was aware of the risks when I ordered them. Despite saying the fish would be heat packed they were not.

My biggest problem is that one of the females has an odd 'thing' on her tail. I have googled around but found no clue as to what the 'thing' might be. I have included photos of it for identification. It is best described as a worm like growth either latched into or erupting from her flesh at the base of the tail. The area is raised and looks inflamed though hard to tell since the tail is red.

img_1382838_0_73c4629bb258a6307589b4098d7be409.jpg
img_1382838_1_f261f381ab0e738ebfb934d91abff4dd.jpg

I have no idea what this could be or if it is something the other fish in the batch could have. I really need some advice.

Secondly, cause I'm having that sort of day, another female in the batch has what seems to be a ruptured hernia or something. She is defecating from a hole in the middle of her chest! I haven't any action shots of it occuring but I have a good shot of the hole.

img_1382838_2_eb86d2488fc223c4b43c3d8364d65643.jpg

Again I need advice and guidance on what is happening and how best to deal with it.

Many thanks in advance.

I haven't seen that on a guppy before but I did run into an anchor worm issue in a goldfish tank. If it is then you need some meds quick. I didn't have the money and waited a week to get the meds. Lost 5 goldfish... good luck

I suggest you contact the supplier and send them back. If one is sick the rest could very well follow.
We bought two silver sharks on Friday. One looked sick on Sunday. Had to isolate him. This morning he is dead. I called the supplier and will get an exchange.
You could try to get some medicine in the tank and see for a few days but I wouldn't like to risk it for new fish.
Hope they get better!!

That looks like some type of parasite, keep those fish out of your tanks. Otherwise you need to treat right away.

Back
Top Bottom