guppy with red spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lornajane89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi can anyone tell me whats wrong with my guppy. I noticed a small red spot on his tail a week ago and thought nothing of it. That has since grown on one side. I read it might be septicemia but id like a 2nd opinion before i start treating. What meds would i need? Thanks

Theres a pic attached although its not very good

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111011_173042.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111011_173042.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 509
its not septicemia, as this runs like veins over the fins.
iv looked at many different things to help you, bu the only thing i find is a dermocystidium or maybe a redworm? what does it look like, parasite, wound or pattern? xx

No its more like a red blemish its on both sides and has got bigger on one side. We had a neon die with pop eye about a week or so ago so i think it might be bacterial. We have just been to the lfs and read through all the meds i just treated with myaxin and will see how it goes. He seems healthy enough, chasing the girls round etc

pattern as in genetic spots of colour on the tail like the blue tail with the black edge etc
if it gets better or leaves let us know or please post a clearer pic.

No its definatley not pattern he didnt have it when we bought him. Ill keep u posted and try sort out a decent camera. Thanks

Hi, the spot seems to be fading a little but im not sure its still visible enough. Healthwise the guppy seems fine he hasnt shown any signs of ill health at all. Ill leep on with the treatment and let u know in a few days. Thanks alot

1 hour and about 100 pictures later i have managed to get a few pics that are a little better, still not the product of a professional cam + lense but its the best i could do with our little digi. please have a look at those and see what you think.

Oh another thing i should have mentioned, before i bought the guppy i had been dealing with a high nitrate problem, it was always between 60 - 80ppm, we added 2 nitrazorb pouches in our filter which we recharge ever 9 or 10 days, our nitrates have dropped to between 20 - 40 ppm but we still carry out regular water changes every 2 - 3 (sometimes 4) days too keep it down, our ammonia and trites are both 0ppm on every test. could nitrates be causing the problem as i said we battle to keep them at 20 and they seem to be ever rising. but the nitrates had come down to a more acceptable level before we added our guppy.

The nitrazorb has been taken out for the duration of the treatment. but the 20ppm nitrates in our tap water make life difficult we have added live plants which some seem to be doing well others not so but its been a process of elimination with what plants grow in our tank (seemed relevant as i believe plants process nitrates)

Thanks guys

Ps: im not sure it is fading or whether my memory is failing and im trying to be optimistic lol

Attachments

• 100_0894.jpg
    100_0894.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 100_0848.jpg
    100_0848.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_0834.jpg
    100_0834.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_0833.jpg
    100_0833.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 246
it look faded, so maybe it was a disease or whatever and ur doin good. or just a coincydink. as far as i know the red spot isnt norm a product of high nitrates, but i cant explain this whatsoever, so.... yeah good luck!

Spot is fading loads now. Ive only been using half dose cause of my fry. But the bottle says treat for 7 continuous days should i keep on treating it until its gone?

No it doesnt seem to be bothering the other fish. Im not sure if its working one day it seems faded today it looks big and bright red like before.. Im really stumped i dont want to keep randomly medicating and i havent got a quarantine tank for him. He doesnt seem ill tho.

hi guy sorry to dig up an old thread but my guppys red spot has come back (it had faded slightly before) with an smaller additional spot on the bottom part of his tail, his tail is starting to look a bit shredded aswell. i dont know it its deteriorating or my 2 girls are bossing him around, none of the tank mates are showing an signs of nipping or aggression. the tail damage is hardly noticable but the the original spot seems to be getting bigger. ive tried bacterial meds so far, just myaxzin which seemed to get it to fade a little, should i get another bottle and carry on until its gone, the bottle only said to use it over a week. i dont want to pollute the tank with unnecessary meds. the pics above ar the best ive got so far. im definatley gonna have to invest in a good camera & lense.

Back
Top Bottom