Guppy with swim bladder healed, but being bullied

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seaguppy07

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I nearly euthanized my fancy guppy female, but instead I tried nursing her back to health by quarantining her, making her fast, and feeding her frozen brine shrimp. Days later, I decide her female guppy tank mate has missed her. They come back together and you can see a vast difference in the size and color of the healthy one, versus the sick one is smaller and paler. The healthy one started nipping at the recovering patient and bullying her. I quickly snatched her up and put her back into the quarantine tank. I have several options: 1) put them back together with a mix of other fish (maybe if they are schooling they don't nip?), keep them separated and let them live with other fish. I know guppies like to be together in a school, but I only have males and am about to breed show-quality guppies, while these are the local fish store (cheap) guppies that I didn't necessarily want to breed.

Any suggestions?

keep her out for at least 30 days from the main tank. Have her set up in a separate tank for sick fish. She will be able to regain her strength within 30 to 45 days or so. When you see her showing signs of a normal guppy, you will know she is ready. If you mix her with the other fish too soon, and she shows signs of weakness, she will get picked off by the other fish. She has to be able to show strength to manage the school. If she can't, she will be eliminated by the other fish. By now, you should be able to tell whether or not she will be able to handle the challenge of another fish. Mine took over 90 days to recover before I could return them to the normal tank. They handle the group fine. (60 days and counting in the main tank. Things seem fine.)

Thanks for the advice! She is doing better but I will definitely keep her separated so she can get stronger. She is staying behind the heater, but comes out when I feed her.

Back
Top Bottom