Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Guppys dying from unknown cause

I have a ten gallon tank that has been set up for 6 months with no problems so far, the tank had 3 guppies and 5 harlequins. Yesterday one of the guppies died out of no where and today I have found another one dead. Anyone know what the cause could be?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:21 AM   #2

Anyone?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm far from knowing sorry, but have you conducted any tests on your water today or yesterday? Or added anything to the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #4

I added a platy about a week ago and I don't have a water testing thing are they very expensive?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I reckon they are pretty expensive (I'm in Australia so don't know about elsewhere). But they last a while and really are invaluable. I tried keeping fish a few years back and failed dismally as I didn't know anything about water quality or cycling etc. Master tests are cheaper in the long run and should have everything required.

Most experienced aquarists seem to quarantine new fish when they get them prior to putting them in their main or display tanks. I don't. I should. I started a topic about the same time as you about a sick guppy, and I reckon quarantining would have been a sensible thing to do. But it's more equipment, tanks, space, time etc. but it seems well worth the extra.

Hopefully someone else jumps on this thread with knowledge as I'd like to know more about guppies. I know they're supposed to be easy and as common as commoners, but I've just started to really like them.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i wish i could help. my guppies also seem to just die off for no reason. and generally i only have them a short time. my water has been tested and is fine. the food is not old, my other fish are not dying like this. my guppies seem to have a pre death act that i have learned. i just put one to sleep an hour ago. i am ready to give up on guppies. i was really hoping i could breed them. i thought it would be great but its becoming very disturbing. I cannot blame the store as i have gotten from 3 different stores and they all go the same way. i am hoping someone replies to my thread as well.. good luck
Old 07-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #7

Thanks anyway, when I get new you fish I'll try avoid guppies.:/
Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

dont know i think its just me. i hear they are hardy fish... i got some good advice on here earlier and hoping that someone gives me feedback to the thread i started. i am new here and just learning but everyone is so helpful
Old 07-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyb_70 View Post
dont know i think its just me. i hear they are hardy fish... i got some good advice on here earlier and hoping that someone gives me feedback to the thread i started. i am new here and just learning but everyone is so helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_fishy View Post
I have a ten gallon tank that has been set up for 6 months with no problems so far, the tank had 3 guppies and 5 harlequins. Yesterday one of the guppies died out of no where and today I have found another one dead. Anyone know what the cause could be?

I think at least one of my guppies has piscine tuberculosis. But that is a google search and diagnosis. Could it be the same for your guppies? Apparently quite common. I haven't had a reply to my thread either. Maybe we can start a 'complete guppy amateurs' group

Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Part of the problem is that fancy guppies are extremely inbred, and some fish farms are shipping stock infected with the fish TB. Original guppies are hardy, but they are so inbred and produced in such vast numbers that problems like this are becoming far too common.

Pure strain Endlers may be a better bet, being much less inbred and not produced in anything like the numbers, yet, that guppies are. Smaller fish too.

But be sure they are not guppy hybrids, which may not do as well as pure ones. Female Endlers are silver, plain, only males have color. Can be lovely, but you get about 8 or 9 females to each male when they have babies. Just FYI.

Tags
dyi, dying, guppy, unknown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com