Guppys dying from unknown cause

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cam_fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ten gallon tank that has been set up for 6 months with no problems so far, the tank had 3 guppies and 5 harlequins. Yesterday one of the guppies died out of no where and today I have found another one dead. Anyone know what the cause could be?

I added a platy about a week ago and I don't have a water testing thing are they very expensive?

I reckon they are pretty expensive (I'm in Australia so don't know about elsewhere). But they last a while and really are invaluable. I tried keeping fish a few years back and failed dismally as I didn't know anything about water quality or cycling etc. Master tests are cheaper in the long run and should have everything required.

Most experienced aquarists seem to quarantine new fish when they get them prior to putting them in their main or display tanks. I don't. I should. I started a topic about the same time as you about a sick guppy, and I reckon quarantining would have been a sensible thing to do. But it's more equipment, tanks, space, time etc. but it seems well worth the extra.

Hopefully someone else jumps on this thread with knowledge as I'd like to know more about guppies. I know they're supposed to be easy and as common as commoners, but I've just started to really like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i wish i could help. my guppies also seem to just die off for no reason. and generally i only have them a short time. my water has been tested and is fine. the food is not old, my other fish are not dying like this. my guppies seem to have a pre death act that i have learned. i just put one to sleep an hour ago. i am ready to give up on guppies. i was really hoping i could breed them. i thought it would be great but its becoming very disturbing. I cannot blame the store as i have gotten from 3 different stores and they all go the same way. i am hoping someone replies to my thread as well.. good luck

Thanks anyway, when I get new you fish I'll try avoid guppies.:/

dont know i think its just me. i hear they are hardy fish... i got some good advice on here earlier and hoping that someone gives me feedback to the thread i started. i am new here and just learning but everyone is so helpful

dont know i think its just me. i hear they are hardy fish... i got some good advice on here earlier and hoping that someone gives me feedback to the thread i started. i am new here and just learning but everyone is so helpful

I have a ten gallon tank that has been set up for 6 months with no problems so far, the tank had 3 guppies and 5 harlequins. Yesterday one of the guppies died out of no where and today I have found another one dead. Anyone know what the cause could be?

I think at least one of my guppies has piscine tuberculosis. But that is a google search and diagnosis. Could it be the same for your guppies? Apparently quite common. I haven't had a reply to my thread either. Maybe we can start a 'complete guppy amateurs' group :)

Part of the problem is that fancy guppies are extremely inbred, and some fish farms are shipping stock infected with the fish TB. Original guppies are hardy, but they are so inbred and produced in such vast numbers that problems like this are becoming far too common.

Pure strain Endlers may be a better bet, being much less inbred and not produced in anything like the numbers, yet, that guppies are. Smaller fish too.

But be sure they are not guppy hybrids, which may not do as well as pure ones. Female Endlers are silver, plain, only males have color. Can be lovely, but you get about 8 or 9 females to each male when they have babies. Just FYI.

how can i tell if they are Endlers (i assume means from different families) or hyprid (again assume these are inbreed). I guess it makes sense the inbreed ones would have problems as humans we can not breed w/in if so the outcome is not pretty. a nasty thought but a comparison. i have had best luck w/ chain pet stores, opposed to private and obviously dont buy from walmart.

I'm new to keeping fish what's an endler?

I was confused about this before. An endler's livebearer, or, an endler, I think, is a hybrid of different guppies and possibly mosquito fish. This is a picture of an endler and a guppy side by side, the guppy on the right, the endler on the left:) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405518853.023853.jpg

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Very helpful link. From what it looks like on there I have a few guppies and mix guppy/ endler. If that's possible. My males do not have a swardfish tail they all fan out, but some colors are that of both guppy and endler.

Very helpful link. From what it looks like on there I have a few guppies and mix guppy/ endler. If that's possible. My males do not have a swardfish tail they all fan out, but some colors are that of both guppy and endler.

That's really cool? I believe that it is called a lyre tail, not a swordtail, but I may be mistaken. Do you mind posting pictures? I'd love to see your fish:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

i have tried and tried to keep guppies but they seem to just die. they are fine and all a sudden they are acting loopy and within 20-30 minutes they die. there is no saving or helping them, i have tried. i am sure that they are not being bullied as my other fish, mainly a variety of tetras such as danios, neons and others seem to do fine.. it is not the store as i have gotten them from 4 different stores now and have had at least one from each store die again all the same way. i posted a thread and no help yet.. i wish someone would help. i have decided that i will just let them die off . i wont kill them if they look healthy and i have no other choice.

i have tried and tried to keep guppies but they seem to just die. they are fine and all a sudden they are acting loopy and within 20-30 minutes they die. there is no saving or helping them, i have tried. i am sure that they are not being bullied as my other fish, mainly a variety of tetras such as danios, neons and others seem to do fine.. it is not the store as i have gotten them from 4 different stores now and have had at least one from each store die again all the same way. i posted a thread and no help yet.. i wish someone would help. i have decided that i will just let them die off . i wont kill them if they look healthy and i have no other choice.

I'll try my best to answer your post. I am sorry I hadn't found it before And I know what it's like posting and getting no answers. :) Soon more people will begin to answer, don't worry.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

i feel every minute counts with these guppies.. as they keep on dying. i feel horrible. like i am doing something wrong. but noone else in the tank does not die this way. and now i tried to save a couple feeder fish who were pregnant and one is acting similar to how you said your molly was. kind of skittish and does a shimmy and lies on the bottom of tank. im afraid im going to lose her too.

i feel every minute counts with these guppies.. as they keep on dying. i feel horrible. like i am doing something wrong. but noone else in the tank does not die this way. and now i tried to save a couple feeder fish who were pregnant and one is acting similar to how you said your molly was. kind of skittish and does a shimmy and lies on the bottom of tank. im afraid im going to lose her too.

Turns out she had Piscine Tuberculosis. It might be the cause of yours as well (HOPEFULLY NOT) but you should ask Istrom. It might just be that she's pregnant I'm not sure. Istrom's the expert though:p

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Back
Top Bottom