Gus the goldfish - neurological damage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fancy goldfish called Gus (pictured below), who has been with me since August 2013.

Gus has always done things his own way, but he does something in particular that freaks me out. Sometimes I find him completely motionless and in a weird position - often vertical and headfirst, such as in his favourite plant or spot in the tank, but yesterday I walked in after a long day to find him motionless and lying on his back on the gravel. As usual, I gave him a gentle push and he righted himself, but looked a little dazed.

I don't think Gus has a swim bladder disease due to his diet - he gets sinking pellets for breakfast, a defrosted dinner of "veggie time", blood worms or brine shrimps, and peas for supper.

He has always had a tail that gets the occasional red vein or spot, when all the other fish are perfectly fine.

He is a mixed type with a little bit of a wen growing.

Gus is with three other fancy goldfish in a 200L tank and Eheim filter. I do one to two partial water chances of 70-80% each week, and the filter gets cleaned each fortnight to keep nitrates down.

There has always been a ph issue which I address with Seachem Gold buffer and a filter bag of crushed shells.

I am starting to think Gus has a neurological issue.

Any advice / opinions would be helpful to me, as I am becoming increasingly worried about my dear fish.

Thank you!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440628710.889331.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440628834.042199.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ps I should mention that Gus and friends have only just moved to their 200L tank in the past week. They were in a 120L tank before that, with the same filter and regime.

Diet isn't the only cause of swim bladder problems. Sometimes the bladder is deformed or displaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think so many goldfish get bloated because they gulp air from the surface. Feed flakes goldfish food so the pellets dont expand in their stomach, and feed peas and stuff to aid in digestion. Other than using flakes instead of pellets i have really no advice to offer. I noticed my fancies would often swim in wierd directions sometimes then be perfectly healthy acting. Is this because some of them lack a Dorsal Fin? Or their normal fins like pectoral and cadual/ventral are too small for their bloated breed bodies? Might be part of the problem.

Dear Matt

Thank you for your advice. For a longtime, Gus has been fed NLS pellets for breakfast and then a frozen meal for dinner. He gets peas everyday.

His dorsal and other fins seem ok - no smaller than those of my other fancy goldfish.

Today I worried all day about him when at work. He seems ok tonight. Gus has one of his weird turns every few months (that I see - I work long hours sometimes).

It's a bit of a mystery.

Looks cute! Stupid question but couldn't be just sleeping odd?

Hi there - not a stupid question at all. That idea has struck me too - that Gus just happens to sleep in weird positions. He certainly loves his naps, and will often find a quiet corner of the tank.

My rainbow shark does this too but he too seems completely normal and stopped doing it a few weeks ago so Gus should be fine

My rainbow shark does this too but he too seems completely normal and stopped doing it a few weeks ago so Gus should be fine

Thank you for the reassurance, I really appreciate it :)

I have been quite worried as Gus is a very much loved member of the family.

Is he a pearlscale? Very nice goldie indeed.

I bought him as a fantail, but I think Gus is a bit of a mix because he has a slight wen growing.

Gus is full of personality - he likes nothing better than a quite nap or when awake, watching my every move through the hair grass!

Back
Top Bottom