Hanging around tank with bent tails??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
It feels like it's one problem after another keeping an aquarium. :nono: So something's up with my Mollys. Ever since i got a new one about 2 weeks ago my tank has been acting peculiar.

The latest is when the Mollys (maybe others) are being still in the tank their tails are a little sideways and they are scratching up against a decoration. Also i can't tell if it's velvet (no ruling out anything, b/c i'm new and don't know) and I've read about fish having TB. Really? :facepalm:

I don't have the #'s on my water, my test kit will arrive Monday (yay!). I treated ICH about 4 weeks ago, i lost 2 fish to it. Other info i can give you-29 gallon tank, i've been changing the water (30-50%) about every other day on advice from a member here until i get my test kit. I have some tetra's, platys, and danio's in there too.

Any advice or suggestions on what to do next are greatly appreciated!

Thanks-
Reagan

Maybe it is some kind of disease since it started when you introduced a new fish, it could be alot of things and difficult to pinpoint since there is no water test to go by. Yes at this point water changes are your best chance, I wish I could help you on more info.

I read that the scratching/flashing could be a parasite and to do a salt bath. What do you think? They are clearly irritated, sitting here now watching them they go to the decoration scratch then swim back up to the top of the water.

If i go out today i'll take my water to petsmart to get it tested. I took it in the day i got the new molly and they said it was "good".

A salt bath should not hurt anything if you do it right, I have not used a salt bath on my fish but There is a certain concentration of salt to water and you need to keep the fish in it until it flips over or turns on its side I think. You can find it online.

Also the ich might be coming back if they seem to be scratching there sides, heat and salt do wonders for ich but if is bacterial , the high temps might hurt things. The best thing to do when it is a unknown illness is keep your water as clean as possible and keep your fish as stress free as possible. Healthy fish can fight alot of diseases :)

Back
Top Bottom