Harlequin rasboras behaving oddly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
90g tank w/29g sum (110 in system)
0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates
Kh 2, ph 7.3, temp 79
10 rasboras
9 punctatus cory
10 cardinal tetras
10 white fin tetras
1 angel
5 boesemani rainbows

Hi there! Our tank has only been running with fish for 1.5 weeks, but the behavior of some of our rasboras has me very concerned. The smallest of the school hides behind our overflow box all day long and never comes out, ever. We tried isolating him in a small isolation hob unit for 48 hours, got him to eat, and returned him to the main tank. After a short time, he went back behind the overflow and has remained there. I do not believe he eats. He is very pale.

Tonight i noticed he has been joined by another. This one has a very fat bulging belly. No pinecone appearance. I saw him come out for a moment, very pale.

Should I euthanize these fish? I worry the new addition behind the overflow has dropsy...

Unrelated, one of my cories keeps banging his side on the bottom, on purpose. Normal??

Thanks in advance.

ForumRunner_20131201_030504.jpg

Hi, does sound pretty odd. Not being picked on per chance? After that I'm guessing - mine school pretty much all the time so that does sound unusual. Can you QT?

Edit - 10 should be heaps. I've got 9 and they school fine.

Last edited:
Well that is a worthless picture isn't it! That's what I get for trying to make a post on my phone.
The fat/bulging one is out swimming today with the rest, but it's really obvious which one it is. I will have to keep an eye on it.
The original hiding one is still hiding. I fear he might die from stress. He can't just live in a quarantine box by himself though!

I only saw the cory flash a few times, so I will just keep an eye on it and see if it's persistent.

Now my boesemani rainbows are behaving somewhat obnoxiously, and their gills seem inflamed. I'm getting very concerned that something is wrong in the tank but I absolutely cannot imagine what. I thought their gills were my imagination but once again had hubby take a look without telling him my concern and he thought they looked a little red.

Doing a 50% water change just in case. Yes, always use Prime.

Well that is a worthless picture isn't it! That's what I get for trying to make a post on my phone.
The fat/bulging one is out swimming today with the rest, but it's really obvious which one it is. I will have to keep an eye on it.
The original hiding one is still hiding. I fear he might die from stress. He can't just live in a quarantine box by himself though!

I only saw the cory flash a few times, so I will just keep an eye on it and see if it's persistent.

Now my boesemani rainbows are behaving somewhat obnoxiously, and their gills seem inflamed. I'm getting very concerned that something is wrong in the tank but I absolutely cannot imagine what. I thought their gills were my imagination but once again had hubby take a look without telling him my concern and he thought they looked a little red.

Doing a 50% water change just in case. Yes, always use Prime.

Sorry, couldn't make out much on the pic.

Yes, does sound off. If the fish don't have an infection I tend to see if they can fight it off and just observe as you say. I've had some luck with api stress coat helping and not aware of it doing any harm.

Just double-checking - is it a liquid or strip test for ammonia?

Liquid API tests
I'm the one was looking for something different from the API nitrate test since I seem to be orange spectrum deficient :p

I'll pick up some stress coat, but for now I did the 50% change and am just going to observe carefully. I know that reddish gills could indicate some issues with ammonia or nitrites so I even ran the whole panel last night just to be sure I didn't have any ammonia or nitrite levels, but nothing.
I worry that the more I look, the more I am seeing things that aren't really there - know what I mean?

I'm new to this though, so I'd hate for something infectious to take down my tank due to my inexperience.

Liquid API tests
I'm the one was looking for something different from the API nitrate test since I seem to be orange spectrum deficient :p

I'll pick up some stress coat, but for now I did the 50% change and am just going to observe carefully. I know that reddish gills could indicate some issues with ammonia or nitrites so I even ran the whole panel last night just to be sure I didn't have any ammonia or nitrite levels, but nothing.
I worry that the more I look, the more I am seeing things that aren't really there - know what I mean?

I'm new to this though, so I'd hate for something infectious to take down my tank due to my inexperience.

Sorry, pre-coffee in the morning!

Good luck with it. Hopefully they settle in.

Back
Top Bottom