Harlequin with white on body

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobrummel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have a harlequin rasbora that has a few white areas on its body. At first I thought that it was maybe a bite or some other scrape, but it has been 2 weeks and it hasn't cleared up. I haven't really treated except to add a little extra salt.

During this time, 2 of my other fish died (1 cardinal and 1 rummy nose) overnight (on different days but only 1-2 days apart). They didn't look at all sick, but I just found them dead the next morning. I have not changed my feeding at all except to try cucumber (right before the first of the 2 fish died).

I don't really want to treat my tank if the problem doesn't need medicines. However, the fish does look poor and I haven't seen it eating. Can anyone maybe help with a diagnosis and/or treatment plan? Unfortunately, I don't have a quarantine tank to be able to separate him out of the community
Thanks!

29 gallon
Aquaclear 70
Water change 50% every 10 days
1 cardinal
6 24k gold tetras
5 black skirt tetras
3 green corys
1 Bolivian ram

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 117
Hi, I have a harlequin rasbora that has a few white areas on its body. At first I thought that it was maybe a bite or some other scrape, but it has been 2 weeks and it hasn't cleared up. I haven't really treated except to add a little extra salt.

During this time, 2 of my other fish died (1 cardinal and 1 rummy nose) overnight (on different days but only 1-2 days apart). They didn't look at all sick, but I just found them dead the next morning. I have not changed my feeding at all except to try cucumber (right before the first of the 2 fish died).

I don't really want to treat my tank if the problem doesn't need medicines. However, the fish does look poor and I haven't seen it eating. Can anyone maybe help with a diagnosis and/or treatment plan? Unfortunately, I don't have a quarantine tank to be able to separate him out of the community

Thanks!

29 gallon

Aquaclear 70

Water change 50% every 10 days

1 cardinal

6 24k gold tetras

5 black skirt tetras

3 green corys

1 Bolivian ram

I'm not an expert. It looks fungasy, new word, to me. For sure push more water changes. From there, someone else.....

Thanks for the columnaris info!

Do you know if I need to decrease the dosage of the medications (kanaplex and furan-2) for tetras? I have been told that for some other medications you have to half the dosage because they are sensitive.

After reading the links, it says to treat with 1 packet per 10 gallons of furan (with 25% water changes on certain days) and 1 measure per 5 gallons of kanaplex every other day for 3 treatments.

Also, know if may not totally cure, but would it hurt to add pimafix until I can get the meds in(I have to order them)? If I can use it, should I stop it once I start the other antibiotics?
Thanks again!

You can keep using the pima it shouldn't hurt.When you start meds I would stop.
As for 1/2 dose start with it and see if you can increase with out issue.
A note on dosing in my own words and then I will look for another link...
I want people to think of an antibiotic they have taken for only 4-5 days?
If you own a pet that has been on antibiotics was only a couple days or 14 days like most human treatments?
I would get enough meds to dose for 10-14 days MINIMUM...
FISH DISEASE
This site USED to sell tothe public and had treatment periods for all meds listed like for humans..Funny now they are only available to wholesalers> The info even....I'll have to talk to a buddy of mine to find out what is going on...

Back
Top Bottom