Hatchets With Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey,

My new hatchets have ich. The tank is 86 F already. Does normal table salt work or do I need special aquarium salt? It's still NaCl right? How much should I dose for a 30G tank?

Thanks for any info.

Table salt has something in it that makes it nonideal for use in aquariums. I'm not sure if it was an anti caking agent or the iodine. Aquarium salt is just NaCl without the extras.

It's not needed but it would probably help. I'd keep the temperature of the water abve 86 degrees for 3 weeks and I'd do regular gravel vacuumings (every day or two) to remove the cysts that like to hang out on the bottom of the tank. See if you can find some "Quick Cure" for Ick at your local fish store. It shouldn't be more than $3 for a small bottle and it will help keep your fish alive. It contains formalin and malachite green, which are both antiparasitic meds and will work well. I've used it countless times with much success. The Ick disappears form the fish in 3 days or less, usually in 2 days. It's well worth it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom