have you ever dealt in aquarium diseases?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Have you dealt with aquarium diseases?

• No. I've never had an aquarium disease

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. I have had an aquarium disease

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
im always reading how alot of people have ich, constantly, or at some point, as well as fin rot, or other things.

so my question is have you ever dealt with fish diseases? if you did, what was it, did you win?

in almost 12 years, ive never had a problem...

Over 6 years, I have dealt with Ich, fin rot, columnaris, and mystery deaths. I have beaten fin rot, columnaris, and ich, but never mystery death.

i have had ich twice and i was able to get rid of it both times. unfortunatly the second time all 4 fish that introduced the ich did not make it. all the rest of the fish that were already in my aquarium were fine. i have also battled droopsy in my rams and they did not make it. i dont think anyone wins the battle of droopsy. and finally one of my cichlids got fungus from a scratch and i lost that battle since i did not know he had it untill to late. he liked hiding so i didnt find it odd at all that i hadnt seen him for a few days.

Yes, Ich twice since my tank has been setup this past Febuary. Both times were successful with using only high temp (88F). First time no known physical signs, treated upon advice on the forum, second time saw a couple white spots.

Fish are now flashing again after latest addition (BN pleco), hoping I don't get another occurance....

I've had ich three times that I can remember and twice beat it. Recently it wiped out most of my tank when I noticed it the day before going away for a week and my heater couldn't get the temperature up above 80 F. I've since replaced taht heater.

I have had ick a couple of time in my 29 and once in my 55. I won the ick war in the 55, but lost a couple of times in the 29. That tank was cycling when the ick outbreak happened though, so it was double whammy. I also had a common plec a long while back that had fungus, and I successfully treated him. I've come a long way since then.

I've lost several to dropsy over the years. Mr. funktastic is right.....you don't beat dropsy.

I have had ich once, a bad body fungus with my pond fish along with fin rot. I have also has these weird external parasites that look almost like ticks. One attacked my black moore goldfish so i just pulled it off. I have also dealt with my fair share of mystery deaths.
LIVES CLAIMED TO:
ich-0
body fungus-3
fin rot-2
other external parasites-0
mysterious deaths-16+

I guess i am doing pretty well for only learning about the nitrogen cycle this year. Only this year i have been introduced to proper fishkeeping. I want to thank you all for that! I have been keeping fish for almost six years by myself and my whole life with my parents. So i guess i am doing ok. lol

Oh oodles of diseases, mostly from the previous store/owner. Treating sick fish gives me more to do than just buying healthy ones from the get go. I've been getting so much better at identifying and treating that my death rate dropped drastically. I will always have a higher rate as I have a lot of "feeder" comets and commons. My tanks are disease free thanks to very strict quarentine.

Anchor worms and resulting ulcers -easily treated, except one extreme case.
Flexibactor- another easy one.
Fish lice- equally easy.
Ich- salt does the trick.
Velvet- easy as ich.
Flukes- bath with formalin, some live some die.
TB- lost 3+ fish to this.
Dropsy- I lost this one.
Septicemia- simply treated by medicated food.
Red Veining- stress free environment with salt.
Lots of mystery deaths

I'm on my third bout of ick and had a suspected bacterial infection in my 29G at one point (which I treated with maracyn plus maracyn II). I still get the occassional mystery death but the rate is much reduced from the early days.
Someday I hope to also claim to have had 12 years without a disease ! In 4 months I think I've already had enough for a lifetime LOL

I have beaten dropsy once. It was a goldfish about 8 years ago. Then it died from a secondary infection from a wound from a parasite.

Ich was the bane of my existance until leasrning the heat/salt method. I may have finally ended an long-running struggle with TB. R/O water has greatly reduced fungus deaths.

I had ich on my angel fish which I had to euthenize. My Piranha s. sanchezi had fin rot because it was wild caught which I just now got her fins to fully regrow. It was pretty bad fin rot, about a 1/8th of an inch from the meat. melafix helped clear it up along with some salt.

Moved to the Unhealthy Forum since this topic is a discussion regarding unhealthy fish diseases.

The only diseases I have had to deal with is ich and Heximitosis. It has been several years since we've had an outbreak of either.

I beat dropsy in a goldfish too. High temps and epsom salt did it. But dropsy has several causes. Mine was probably parasitic, but it could also be cancer/tumor so you can see why it seems impossible to beat in most cases.

I have not had any other diseases in like 10 years. I read about people treating ich multiple times, and I don't get it - setting up a small QT for new fish is way less hassle than treating a whole tank for a disease. You all are way too smart not to QT :)

Back
Top Bottom