Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Have you dealt with aquarium diseases?
No. I've never had an aquarium disease 2 7.41%
Yes. I have had an aquarium disease 25 92.59%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
have you ever dealt in aquarium diseases?

im always reading how alot of people have ich, constantly, or at some point, as well as fin rot, or other things.

so my question is have you ever dealt with fish diseases? if you did, what was it, did you win?

in almost 12 years, ive never had a problem...

Old 09-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Over 6 years, I have dealt with Ich, fin rot, columnaris, and mystery deaths. I have beaten fin rot, columnaris, and ich, but never mystery death.

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have had ich twice and i was able to get rid of it both times. unfortunatly the second time all 4 fish that introduced the ich did not make it. all the rest of the fish that were already in my aquarium were fine. i have also battled droopsy in my rams and they did not make it. i dont think anyone wins the battle of droopsy. and finally one of my cichlids got fungus from a scratch and i lost that battle since i did not know he had it untill to late. he liked hiding so i didnt find it odd at all that i hadnt seen him for a few days.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxwell1295 Send a message via Yahoo to maxwell1295
One bout with ich, one bout with body fungus, several bouts with MFD. MFD remains undefeated...

125 Gallon Mixed African Thread, 75 Gallon Mixed Malawi Thread
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, Ich twice since my tank has been setup this past Febuary. Both times were successful with using only high temp (88F). First time no known physical signs, treated upon advice on the forum, second time saw a couple white spots.

Fish are now flashing again after latest addition (BN pleco), hoping I don't get another occurance....
Old 09-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
I've had ich three times that I can remember and twice beat it. Recently it wiped out most of my tank when I noticed it the day before going away for a week and my heater couldn't get the temperature up above 80 F. I've since replaced taht heater.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
I have had ick a couple of time in my 29 and once in my 55. I won the ick war in the 55, but lost a couple of times in the 29. That tank was cycling when the ick outbreak happened though, so it was double whammy. I also had a common plec a long while back that had fungus, and I successfully treated him. I've come a long way since then.

I've lost several to dropsy over the years. Mr. funktastic is right.....you don't beat dropsy.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
I have had ich once, a bad body fungus with my pond fish along with fin rot. I have also has these weird external parasites that look almost like ticks. One attacked my black moore goldfish so i just pulled it off. I have also dealt with my fair share of mystery deaths.
LIVES CLAIMED TO:
ich-0
body fungus-3
fin rot-2
other external parasites-0
mysterious deaths-16+

I guess i am doing pretty well for only learning about the nitrogen cycle this year. Only this year i have been introduced to proper fishkeeping. I want to thank you all for that! I have been keeping fish for almost six years by myself and my whole life with my parents. So i guess i am doing ok. lol

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh oodles of diseases, mostly from the previous store/owner. Treating sick fish gives me more to do than just buying healthy ones from the get go. I've been getting so much better at identifying and treating that my death rate dropped drastically. I will always have a higher rate as I have a lot of "feeder" comets and commons. My tanks are disease free thanks to very strict quarentine.

Anchor worms and resulting ulcers -easily treated, except one extreme case.
Flexibactor- another easy one.
Fish lice- equally easy.
Ich- salt does the trick.
Velvet- easy as ich.
Flukes- bath with formalin, some live some die.
TB- lost 3+ fish to this.
Dropsy- I lost this one.
Septicemia- simply treated by medicated food.
Red Veining- stress free environment with salt.
Lots of mystery deaths
Old 09-21-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm on my third bout of ick and had a suspected bacterial infection in my 29G at one point (which I treated with maracyn plus maracyn II). I still get the occassional mystery death but the rate is much reduced from the early days.
Someday I hope to also claim to have had 12 years without a disease ! In 4 months I think I've already had enough for a lifetime LOL

Tags
disease, diseases

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com