Having troubles....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MagicMagdelene

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please bear with me - I can get windy.

I've been an aquarium keeper for over 10 years now. Every few years, I try to upgrade to something bigger, or nicer for my tanks. Last month, after owning it for 4 years, I finally set up my 36 gallon bowfront, and relocated my beautiful mollies, my oddly peaceful male betta and female betta, from their old 10 gallon to their new home. I also added 2 red wag platy's and a few tuxedo platys. I used a buffer to set the PH at 7 and a product by Tetra that I can't even find any longer - I think it's called pH Balance - that is supposed to hold the pH where it is set. Having been victim to pH crashes many times, I thought this was an A+ move. Dropped in some salt according to the directions, and was adding Seachem's Stability bacteria, again, as per the instructions, for a week. Things looked great and my little buddies were excited and enjoying the new space.

Idiot note. I put the blue background on the tank on the *inside*, using "Seaview" to make it stick. Figured out my mistake after it started to peel away. I eventually took it off, choosing to just pull it out, and the oil from the product rose right to the top of my tank. I skimmed what I could and did several water changes as quickly (but also as safely!) as I could.

Now. Fast forward two weeks. Have my first casualty. I'm sad, but not surprised. It happens. He seemed to be the most stressed by my net when I tried to catch him for the new tank. Poor thing was paralyzed when I put him in the new tank and just drifted at the surface for a bit, those little eyes looking at me as if to say "Help!!" Said a few words, sent him on his way. Checked the tank for signs of disease, stress or other odd behaviors, just to be sure. All seemed shiny. Two days later, two more casualties and one of my babies I was raising had gone MIA. Fish that seemed healthy just laying on the bottom of my tank. I check the pH and HOLY CRAP! It's off the chart!! Deep blue instead of that pretty soft green! I immediately do a water change, probably about half, add the pH Decrease in as safe a dosage as it advises. But two hours later, pH is still off the charts. Added the decrease again. This went on for two days before I realized I had to resort to drastic measures, because the pH Balance I put in wasn't letting me decrease the pH. My sweetlings were dropping like flies. I put them all back in their 10 gallon tank, and did a FULL water change and clean up. I even emptied the water in the canister filter. I mean, short of scooping up the sand, EVERYTHING came out and got cleaned. Gravel, rocks, plants. I bought a new resin rock formation from the store, because the one I had used was a hand-me-down from dad, and maybe it was made for terrariums and not aquariums. Filled it all back up, added the salt, the aloe stress coat and dechlorinater, the bacteria, and checked the pH. Perfect 7.0. Let it run a few hours, and helped my babies back into their new home. FABU! Things were going great! Everyone seemed healthy and happy. In fact, two (possibly three - she could just be a glutton!) of my ladies started to get pretty round in the belly! And two weeks later, tragedy. My favorite of my littlest ones, born in my tank, was stuck to my filter, gasping for air. He only lasted an hour after that. Found my little one who had gone missing - he had been mostly eaten and dead a while. Yesterday, no deaths, though one silver molly won't eat and she's been hanging at the top of my tank (she's one of my pregnant mommies). This morning, my beautiful virile and active male, curled on the gravel and gone. The others are all still active and eating and seem to be perfect! But so did he yesterday. Last night, in fact, before I went to bed. I always spend some time with them when I wake up and go to sleep, and he was at the front of the tank saying goodnight the same as the others. Again, no signs of distress or illness at all! I've only seen my one platy scratch herself once this morning, but no flashing in the tank, no signs of bacteria or ich.

I'm completely lost. There can't be any ammonia, right? The tank is technically only two weeks only and I absolutely do not overfeed. My pH is now still perfect. Temp is 80 degrees. Bacteria dosing period is over. I can't take the heartache anymore. I'm open to all suggestions. :-( Please help!

Attachments

• Aquarium.jpg
    Aquarium.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 78
Only two things come to my mind, there could have been some chemicals from the seaview that sunk instead of floated, and are causing harm to fish. The other thing is pure terror. The fish may just all be in major shock, I recommend putting them in a stable tank, use a double dose of stability on the first day, and a half a dose every day after. Good luck, I have a friendly male betta as well, and I can only imagine the pain that would be in losing him.

Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you. But there's no pattern to who's dying. It's both my old fish from the 10 gallon who went through the whole process, but also, some newbies, who've only been added after I did the full cleanout. Same thing with the chemicals from seaview, though I will contact the manufacturer to ask. Once I cleaned everything, even the gravel and rocks and filter media, I'd think everything would be outta there. :-(

Do you have readings for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate now? It sounds like the water conditions or the tank isn't stable.

Off the chart ph - was that high ph? Just in case I've found some ph balance products actually assume eg tank ph will drop over time so they only help in one direction for ph. I have a tetra ph product that does that.

Do you have readings for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate now? It sounds like the water conditions or the tank isn't stable.

Off the chart ph - was that high ph? Just in case I've found some ph balance products actually assume eg tank ph will drop over time so they only help in one direction for ph. I have a tetra ph product that does that.

It seems you may have just skimmed his post, my friend, but theres no way he has ammonia in the tank, leading me to believe that there would be no nitrate or nitrite.

It seems you may have just skimmed his post, my friend, but theres no way he has ammonia in the tank, leading me to believe that there would be no nitrate or nitrite.

Of course we can view it that way but isn't it wiser to post all readings rather than assume? Preferably with a liquid based test kit. Tap and tank water specs are always a good check imo, close out either way and then progress on. I say this because I've seem ammonia come from tap water, from substrate soil, from rapidly stocking, from filters cleaned too well and filters containing mainly carbon which was then thrown out (throwing out bb as well) - easier for me to ask. Hope that helps explain the request to check water spec readings.

At this point, I'll try anything. I've never had to test for ammonia or nitrates because I keep my tanks so clean and taken care of in the past, and my tap is usually pretty awesome. But things happen and change. I'm only assuming no ammonia because it's still so new and no waste has accumulated. And I'm going off of my years of aquarium keeping experience, though this is the first time I've had a tank this big. I'll buy the necessaries and get back to you.

PS. Lost my female betta this morning and a dalmation last night. :-(

Is there any possibility of a parasite? Worms? I've got two mollies not eating - I assume they're on deck as my next victims. :-( - and last night, one was pooping clear and stringy. I know that's likely cause she hasn't eaten, but could it be a parasite? I've only ever dealt with bacterial or viral issues in my tank before.

Oh! Maybe those swollen bellies aren't just pregnancy??? I did have one of my silvers give birth, so it's still a very strong possibility the others are pregnant too. I do keep my tank in ideal condition for that (except for the dropping dead part). I've got the 2nd silver and dalmation with big bellies, and one panda mollie. No one is wasting away, no problem with gills. Is there any danger in treating for parasites if they don't have them?

I've treated for parasites using praziquantel with no issues. There were no issues with bacteria getting killed off. I've only used it once or twice though. Medicated food (which I've never seen here) looks the way to go for best results.

Normally sunken bellies, off their food, white poop - some signs may be seen. If the fish look well, schooling and eating well (?), parasites is lower down my list.

Fungal is out. Bacterial such as columnaris would certainly kill them off quickly but you mentioned no signs of illness?

Posting as off train but back on desktop soon.

Alright, just did a chem test and everything is so perfect I should have a doctorate. pH around 608, no ammonia, no nitrates. I started treating for parasites. I've got more fish with clear poop now, both fish that have been eating and fish that haven't. I've got swollen bellies all around, but on all the females, so I'm not ruling out pregnancy. Everything I've read on symptoms for parasites are things I've seen, but just dismissed as fish being fish. Spitting out food, one who floated on his side for 4 days before dying, lethargy for some... So now we wait and see.

New symptom after I dosed the tank! Maybe, bent spine? I have a video. My littlest usually has a pretty wide beautiful tail. Now it's all thin and literally looks stretched out and she's got it curving this way and that. Like she's got an eel for a tail. Is there a way to post a video???

Alright, just did a chem test and everything is so perfect I should have a doctorate. pH around 608, no ammonia, no nitrates. I started treating for parasites. I've got more fish with clear poop now, both fish that have been eating and fish that haven't. I've got swollen bellies all around, but on all the females, so I'm not ruling out pregnancy. Everything I've read on symptoms for parasites are things I've seen, but just dismissed as fish being fish. Spitting out food, one who floated on his side for 4 days before dying, lethargy for some... So now we wait and see.

Good news on tests. Just checking but no nitrates - is that due to heavy planting/pwc schedule? This tank is cycled? I always like to see some nitrates come in to show it is cycled but sometimes the water changes and plants are using more than produced or light stocking.

Also would your old tank have been low in nitrates as well I assume? So the fish weren't going from (eg) 80ppm nitrate in old tank to (eg) 0ppm nitrate in new tank.

Did you get a nitrite test result at all? Not trying to be a smart alex here but just understanding the 0 nitrate. If silly quesitons just let us know.

Last question on water chemistry was could there be anything in the water that shouldn't be there? You mentioned the backing but it sounded like several water changes had been done and all good there?

Edit - spitting out food. I had that with bodies getting thinner than heads and white, stringy poop. Ended up treating but I'm not an expert on parasites.

Last edited:
Hey, sorry it took so long to respond - I only have internet at work and it was a holiday weekend.

Okay, so yes, I did do a battery of tests on the water. Got those test strips from API that test pH, nitrite, nitrate, general hardness and carbonate hardness. To be perfectly honest, I'd never ever had to test for nitrates or ammonia before because I keep my tank very clean, but unless I'm reading the strip wrong, both indicators for nitrate and nitrites came up white, meaning 0. And again, I'd never tested the old tank, but I kept it super clean, so I can't imagine there'd have been much in the way of ammonia in the old tank.

As an update, I lost a few more fish when I started the treatment for parasites with the general parasite cure by API - I think the active ingredient there is Metronidazole. I finished treatment and am scheduled for a 25% water change tonight. No dead fish in two days. My black male showed signs of lethargy and wouldn't eat two days ago, but after the second dose, he got more active, though he's still not perfect. Same with a silver female who still has a very swollen belly. Again, still not ruling out pregnancy, but if that's it, she's gotta be about ready to pop! My little baby is still less active than normal, and his tail curled again after the second dose. Very very weird. It's fine now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we're all cleaned out now. I've lost about 20 fish and my heart breaks every time. :-(

I attached a video of little one's tail curling. I'm sorry I can't rotate the vid. My video editing software is at home.

Hi - the video link didn't attach? I've never done that unfortunately - usually I just attach pics.

The test strips are a good guide. They can under read for nitrate and nitrite so any hint of colour is either good (nitrate) or bad (nitrite).

I'm no expert by I've had tanks for quite some time now and the biggest lesson I've learned is to let tanks cycle fish less with bacteria media from an established tank ( filter pads) and then SLOWLY add all the fish. But it's too late for that my heart goes out to you and your dead fish and I hope the others pull through

I just realized have you been adding fish the whole time otherwise 20 fish is a lot to have in a 36 gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update

Only added to my already 10 or so 2 weeks after the new tank was set up and all fish were showing signs of happy and healthy. I used the 1" to a gallon rule of thumb, and the calculator at "How Many Fish?" Aquarium Stock Level Calculator, but still kept the stock under those suggested limits.

For an update. I am down to two reg wag platys, one black molly, one male betta, and two panda mollies, though one is in a quarantine holding tank because she is not going to make it much longer. I'm absolutely stumped. I treated with Metronidazole for internal parasites and thought it worked. Came home to my black male with a huge long white clumpy strand of poop and decided to do the parasite treatment one more time. He showed serious signs of improvement after, but I lost my silver, the tuxedo, and my last baby. Now my sick panda. She's got the same curving tail my baby did, like a big s curvature and she's been gasping for air. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with TB? I haven't even considered it an an option since it's so rare. But I can't come up with why they're healthy and happy one day, then dead the next. Fish that have outlasted the others by a month suddenly and with no indication of trouble, dead in the morning. That was my tuxedo. She was fine. Then she was dead this morning.

Anyone see the movie "Fallen" with Denzel Washington? I have Azazel in my tank.

Did you try adding aquarium salt just curious

Well I'm not so experienced with fish diseases. Thank God. But I do remember that I used to have 5 long finned phantom tetras that all died one after the other but nothing else died. Did you put them back in the original tank maybe the new tank is poisoned

Back
Top Bottom