Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
Heavy Breathing Fish

My tank was cloudy so I decdied to do a very large water change of 80%. Which didn't completly clear up the problem, I had this probelm for about two weeks now, and decided that was the last straw. I believe it was originaly caused by my florecent blub being shot. I went to the store and bought a solution, which cleared the water up within and hour. The day after I noticed the fish have been breathing heavy. I am not sure if they are in shock because of the large water change, or if the solution I added is having a negitive effect on them. Also, the water is now running through pipes on the street due to them cleaning the sewers, so I am not sure if that might have something in it. I am unabl to do another chane tonight because I am exausted, but can someone please give me advice on what to do!? The tank currently has 1 oscar, 1 bleekeri, 1 pleco, 2 tin foil barbs, and is 90 gallons. All perameters are in check.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow I wish you luck, I dont have much advise since I'm new to this. However I think adding more details will help others and yourself narrow down the issue.

So do you have any water test results to share?
Was the water change water up to temp?
How long has the tank been setup?
What exactly did you add to the water to clear it up?
Any pictures of the cloudy water?

Normally help over the internet requires as much info as possible to find a solution/problem.

Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Activated Charcoal should help.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
How long has the tank been set up? Is the cloudiness white or green? Adding chemicals to clear the water might be the problem with your fish. They only mask the problem not solve it.

Do you have an airstone? When was the last time you did a water change before the cloudy water and did you clean the filters? White cloudy water is usually a bacterial bloom, it won't harm the fish. Have you tested your water parameters lately?

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Many people believe that adding things/chemicals/solutions to aquariums should be a last resort, or if you know the EXACT issue. Otherwise its best to NOT mess with the water/add things.

Personally if it were me, in your situation I would do another WC asap as whatever you added may very well be the cause of the stress/issue. Along the same lines carbon sounds like a good idea currently also to remove whatever was added.

Then you'll be back to where you were hopefully, and if you still have the cloudy water then provide more info to track down the underlining cause.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Water clarifiers contain flocculents that will not only help clear up the tank, they will stick to the gills of the fish and make it difficult for them to breath.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
The tank has been setup for about a year and two months now. I have never had this problem before, the only thing I could think of was thast the light needed to be changed. I changed it, but the problem was still there. The water color was green to begin with, but as I did more and more water changes it looked to turn more white.

Tags
breathing, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com