Heckeli Inflamed Gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Frank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
Ive just noticed after I did a 50% water change yesterday that one of my Young Heckelii Cichlids has inflamed gills. He has been at the surface of the tank in the far left corner resting and is swimming abnormally. He seems to be having trouble breathing but the tank has plenty of circulation.

Any response will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank.
IMG_2606.jpg

Last edited:
If your cichlid was fine prior to the noted WC, and only exhibited the inflamed gills and lethargic behavior afterwards, then I would guess a water parameter problem.
Are the tankmates okay?
Fish behave that way when there is a spike in ammonia or nitrite. Maybe the big WC triggered a mini cycle. Some fish handle parameter spikes better than others.

The standard answer is your fish has a symptom of ammonia poisoning. But this would depend on what your ammonia was/is. Had it been awhile since your last water change? What is your ammonia test out at after the water change?

Also worthwhile checking source water - there have been instances where tap water has changed or pipes are worked on and caused die-offs.

Back
Top Bottom