Helllpp!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
omg, my yellow belly barbs aka lemon barbs aka golden belly abrbs have been swimming adn acting wired as of late.....they have been hitting themselves into the rocks and ornaments.....i have been worried that it was ich , but i have not yet noticed any white spots on them......wht can the problem be >>>>>?????? i have two of them and both of them are acting the same exact way... my other fish in the tank have been very normal.......they have also been swimming with their heads up as they wiggle..... any suggestions????

I had some fish do that once, never figured out exactly what it was, but treated the tank with Melafix, and they were fine.

iMO

I have always been told that before anything is done ( I used to over- react, and kill a lot of fish), to check the water parameters.
To be sure that your water is good before you decide to start a treatment. Is just my opinion but so far I learned this here and has worked good for me.
I'm new I can not recommend you a treatment. Good luck!

The directions are on the bottle, 1 tsp for 10 gallons I think. I like Pimafix and Melafix because they are all natural, and won't mess with your biological filter.
Like ejara said, what are your water readings?

Yes, please do check your water parameters before you start medicating. Your fish are flashing against ornaments because something is irritating them. Usually ich, velvet or high ammonia levels will make fish flash against objects. Check your water for ammonia. If you have high ammonia levels, do a 50% water change and keep doing so every other day to lower ammonia levels. If your water parameters are fine, your fish most likely have ich. Sometimes ich is not noticeable on fish cause sometimes ich will attack the gills first. You can do a large water change (50%) and raise your temperature up to 86 degrees. Do this over a period of time...about 2 degrees every 4 hours until it reaches 86. Leave it at 86 degrees for about two weeks.

Please test your water first though.

How long have you had these fish? Or how long has it been since you added new fish?

Ich is a parasite that comes into tanks from host fish. It doesn't just spring up out of nowhere.

Back
Top Bottom