Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrite should be 0 ammonia 0 nitrate ideally at 20. Temperature can be a factor also, and how many fish you have in your tank.
If your tank is cycled fully before fish are put in, then ammonia and nitrite should not change, remain at 0. Only changes if something has gone wrong, with the water change, or new fish has brought in foreign bacteria or disease, or dead fish rotting.

One thing I notice is, you have quite a few too many fish in a tank of that size. The more fish the more waste produced, if you do not have a sufficient filter and bacteria system you will always have problems with your water.

I also swear by aquarium salt.

You guys were right! The fish I bought from Pet Smart had ick :^( great now I have to treat my tank

Word of warning on treating your tank:

My tank mates got fin rot which wiped out most of my inhabitants pretty much overnight! (caused by rotting food and general dirty water) I used meds to treat my tank, which may have solved the fin rot but otherwise healthy fish got wiped out over night by the meds, i may gave miscalculated the dosage or they couldn't handle the meds.
Someone on here advised me only to use meds as a last resort, and to use aquarium salt as directed, as a med instead.
Perhaps meds are good for individual fish in a quarantined environment, but they could have adverse effects on fish not already ill.

I would definitely research this thoroughly before using the meds. Aquarium salt may just be the answer with a higher temp..but you may need something stronger. Perhaps start a new thread for ick for more advice.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom