HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabathalouisee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My goldfish is huddled in the corner behind a decoration, won't even come out when I feed him! WHAT DO I DO???:confused:

Tabathalouisee said:
My goldfish is huddled in the corner behind a decoration, won't even come out when I feed him! WHAT DO I DO???:confused:

Have you tested your parameters what size tank is it? Filtration etc? Is it a new fish? How long has this been going on for? How often do you feed? Goldfish have a heavy heavy bi load, could be its not hungry? Scared? I'd start with your parameters.

5 gallon tank, feed it in the morning and at night, I am going to town tomorrow to get the stuff to test my water, I just recently changed water and cleaned the tank. This has only been going on since this morning, When also my other goldfish has recently died. Not a new fish a year old. So I don't think it would be scared!

Tabathalouisee said:
5 gallon tank, feed it in the morning and at night, I am going to town tomorrow to get the stuff to test my water, I just recently changed water and cleaned the tank. This has only been going on since this morning, When also my other goldfish has recently died. Not a new fish a year old. So I don't think it would be scared!

What did the other fish die from? So you had 2 goldfish in a 5 gallon tank? You do know that goldfish do not have stomaches right? So in and out it goes making them a great big poop machine. I believe it is recommended to feed less and more frequent during the day.

I'm curious to know what the other fish died of, it could be related.

Try doing big water change and see if it makes a difference. Change out at least half the water for new water and see if he perks up any.

I have no clue what the other fish died from, I think it was ICH, He had white build up on him. and As of this fish, i have already changed about 50% of the water and nothing has happened. Still staying in the corner. Could it be that its sad because the fish that died and this one have been together for like a year. Could it be depression?

Tabathalouisee said:
I have no clue what the other fish died from, I think it was ICH, He had white build up on him. and As of this fish, i have already changed about 50% of the water and nothing has happened. Still staying in the corner. Could it be that its sad because the fish that died and this one have been together for like a year. Could it be depression?

If your other fish died of ICH there's a pretty good chance this one has it as well. I guess fish could be depressed maybe, not sure on that one.

Anyway I'd do water changes and check your parameters. Are you using a dechlorinater? Something to treat your tap water before putting it into the tank?

What kind of filtration are you running? The bigger the better. As I said goldfish have a extremely heavy bio load so 1 in a 5 gallon tank, your water can easily go bad fast...

Last edited:
No, I doubt it is depression. It might be from toxins built up in the tank.
Ich looks like white grains of salt on the fish. If you mean white fizz after the fish died, that is just normal dead fish fungus. If it was white and fuzzy while the fish was alive, that is also fungus but a different kind that should have been treated.

The one that died had white fuzz on it before it died, and I used the ich treatment but didn't work. I'm very worried. should i completly empty my tank and start over, like put my goldfish in a big bowl while i'm cleaning it?

Tabathalouisee said:
The one that died had white fuzz on it before it died, and I used the ich treatment but didn't work. I'm very worried. should i completly empty my tank and start over, like put my goldfish in a big bowl while i'm cleaning it?

That may be a start BUT if your fish has been exposed to a fungus or parasite of some kind the fish itself is going to have to be treated.

Ok, white fuzz is not ich. He probably had some sort of fungus. The good news is that is less likely to be transferred to your current fish.
How long ago did the other fish die?

How do I completly treat the fish? But I will have my mom get the stuff tomorrow to where I can just completly restart!

More specifically, did the symptoms of this fish start before the other one died, or after? How long after?
No, you don't need to take the fish out. I would just do another big water change for the moment and see if it makes a difference.
Does the fish have any signs of fungus? Any whiteness? Fuzzy spots? Clamped fins? Trouble swimming?

Could your mom possibly purchase you a Liquid test kit? That will help narrow down what is happening. Does your Goldie have any black marks, fuzz or growths at the moment? Is he/she gasping at all?

The one that died, died yesterday morning, and right after that is when the other one started staying in the corner. No signs of white fuzzy stuff, no trouble swimming, Just staying in the corners of my tank, when he is the only one in there! He won't eat! Worried he might not make it. I did another water change, and still nothing!

And as of the kit that you mentioned probably not, we don't have that kind of money, THATS why I have a 5 gallon, and am VERY sensitive when people say I can't take care of my fish in there! I love my fishies!:(

There is another option. You can take some tank water into your local fish shop and get them to test it and write down the results. It's best if they use a liquid test because it's far more accurate than the test strips. Getting you know the parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp) of your tank will help you know how much water needs to be changed and whether it is cycling or not. I see in your other thread someone explained the nitrogen cycle. Get familiar with this, do some reading on the subject. This cycle is what helps keep your fish alive and healthy so it's important to know how it works. In my very first post to you I linked the getting started article. It contains all sorts of useful hints and tricks.
The best way to keep your little Goldie happy and heathy is lots of clean water. If the only symptom is sitting in the bottom in the corner then my best guess would be a water quality issue. This is easily fixed with lots of large water changes.
At this point in time any extra money would be better off being saved up for a test kit rather than buying medications for the tank. Hopefully the clean water will do the truck and nothing else will be needed!

Edit: did the filter cartridge get changed recently at all? Or the tank completely cleaned?

Just to add to what Mumma said, most pet stores will test the water free. Just so you know.
For right now, keep the water super clean and hopefully your fish will be ok.

I got the pet store to test my water, And all the levels are correct, My filter had been changed, fish is doing better now. Will be getting my 30g soon so the little guy can have more swimming space!

Back
Top Bottom