Help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul1620

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,I have a 30"x15x12 coldwater set up that has been running now for around 4 weeks. I am a beginner. I have 3 very small lionhead a and 2black moors.
I have kept on top of feeding and water changes as well as hoovering the gravel. The algal bloom has gradually subsided.
To my horror over the last few days all of my fish have taken to gathering together in one corner at the bottom of the tank underneath the filter!!!!
They look as if they are on their way out and are hardly moving!

What do I do?

What do you mean the algal bloom has subsided. Do you have a bubbler in the tank? have you checked the ph levels or amonia levels?

You had an algae problem and bombed it with algae chemicals? Change the water ASAP and more than 30% I would do %50, My girlfriend bombed our tank with algae killer once and it killed both my convicts and all its fry. Hope its not to late and this helps, keep me posted.

We need to know how the water tests? How long has this been up and running? If you.just had an algae bloom it could mean a quite a few thing. :)

When I say bloom-I mean the water turned very cloudy white about a week after putting the first fish in,but with water changes -no chemicals this cleared. Water is clear now but the fish are all but dead at the bottom of the tank?

Paul1620 said:
When I say bloom-I mean the water turned very cloudy white about a week after putting the first fish in,but with water changes -no chemicals this cleared. Water is clear now but the fish are all but dead at the bottom of the tank?

This happend more than likely because of water quality issues. When you added the first fish this started the cycle. What happens is your ammonia in the tank will build up ( make the tank cloudy) and turn into nitrites both of these are deadly to fish. It then turns to nitrates witch you need to try to keep under 40 by water changes. There are two ways you can cycle a tank when getting started. one being fish in and one being fishless. Here are to articles on how to do this

Fish in
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Fishless
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Hi! Do you have a liquid test kit such as the API master test kit? If not, you need to get one ASAP. We need to know your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph. Do you have a good water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel Plus? This will help as well.

Ok, the bad news is your tank is only @23g assuming the measurements you gave are in inches and not centimeters. This size tank is only suitable for ONE of these guys. The absolute bare minimum tank size suitable for them is a 60g but I would not put 5 fancies in anything less than a 75g. Filtration needs to be 10x the tank size. So, for a 75g, you need 750gph (gallons per hour) filtration.

Unfortunately, your tank will likely never properly cycle being this overstocked. You have to start changing their water immediately. I would start with 50% water changes daily, one in the am and one in the pm. Make SURE you temperature match and properly condition ALL new water. Once you have a proper liquid test kit and can give us your tank parameters, we can make further suggestions for water changes until you can figure out how you plan on addressing your stocking situation (big tank upgrade or rehoming fish). Please read the links below for more information and ask any questions you may have!!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Back
Top Bottom