HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBouchard

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon tank, i have been losing fish left and right, im down to 1 betta and 1 angel. My ph is 6.0 when it was 7.6 and my ammonia is sky high, i have a fluval 305 canister filter and have been battling some type of fungus that i hope is cleared. What can i do to get my tank back to where i can add fish???

My ammonia right now. We did a 50%wc after finishing all fungal treatments about 1 week ago everything else is testing fine

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1428031753869.jpg
    1428031753869.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 78
The ammonia is way too high. Keep changing the water until the ammonia test gives you a yellow color.

List the meds you used.

What type filters are you using?

Do you have an aquarium you can borrow bio media from?

Do you have a local LFS you trust to get bio media?

Here at the forum in the classifieds, Mr. Fisher, used to sell bio active sponges. I've been away for awhile so I don't know if he still sells them.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Highly likely the tank is not cycled with that high ammonia reading. That high, it's no surprise your fish died.

Go to Freshwater-> Getting Started-> section of the forums and click the sticky at the top. The links will teach you how to properly cycle the tank so you don't see this high ammonia reading again.

In the rare case your ammonia was this high in a cycled tank it would be from overstocking or fish with serious bioload and not enough water changes.

1. How long has the tank been set up?

2. What fish did you have in there before they all died?

3. Current water parameters?

I agree with the statement above of doing water changes to bring the ammonia down, UNLESS, the tank is not cycled in which case I would let it run its course and finish cycling.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah like monkeymonk said way too much ammonia, dangerously high. Do several large water changes, 50-75%. Use prime as your dechlorinator as it has the side effect of breaking down ammonia and nitrite/nitrates.

What is your tap pH? Anything in the aquarium that is lowering it?

A side note if you plan on keeping angels and things I would move the betta to smaller tank by itself, they don't usually do well with others.

The tank has been up since last jan. The tap is perfect, and the inly thing in the tank is drift wood. Current params are nitrites 0 trates 0, ph 6.0.

The betta gets along great with the other fish, and i removed the driftwood, how long until a change?

The betta gets along great with the other fish, and i removed the driftwood, how long until a change?

Well with pH a sudden change is never a good idea

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I would. The ammonia is high and the tank needs to be brought back to stable pH. Unless your buffering your water intentionally then its going to run near your tap pH. I find stability to be one of the most important factors regarding pH.

Okay, thanks, we never had this issue and the driftwood had been in there since june last year.

The medications most likely killed off all the bb. At this point if you still have fish I would be doing 50% every hour until its <25%

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom