HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlainsFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help! I have a 15 gal tank with a single Jack Demphy in it (fish is about 15 years old,. my baby)

and my ex and I got into a huge fight and he poured a half a bottle of vodka into the tank!

It's been about an hour since I finally got my ex out, and now Im afraid its too late to save my poor jack!

I did a thurough water change. Any suggestions to help?

I did near 100%, didnt scrub the rocks or gravel though, I did not want to erase the benificial bacteria or anything, but majority of the water I did change.

half a bottle like of a micky or half a bottle of like a 26er. either way that was a read butt head thing to do. just keep doing like a 25% water change every day for a few days to make sure to cycle everything out. i wonder how alcohol affects fish? i wish u all the best and hope your fish makes it

Alcohol kills fish. its one of the ways to cull a fish. I know this. Im afraid he wont live the night :(

how does he look? is he struggling to breath? swimming lop sided. any discolourations? i think the water would thin in out enough to not be lethal. how fast did u do the waterchange after him pouring in the alcohol?

he looks shakey, jerking around abit, almost like he's having a seizure :( and about an hour after the vodka was poured in, about then. I couldnt get to him sooner

Oh my....kick his @$$!!! I would aerate the water really well ( read somewhere that that helps dispell the alcohol), and keep up with water changes. Best of luck!! Hope he pulls through.

P.S. If I were you, I'd change the locks. Talking from experience here. Takes about 10 minutes per door, and a new lock isn't pricey at all.

aerating water, going to try that. I'll cry if this little one dies.. I had him for about 15 years, and he's about 6-7 inches long now.

and new locks, good idea, though he doesnt have the key to the house

Wow, I'm not sure what to say.. The only time I've ever used alcohol with a fish was to euthanize it. That being said, the fact that he is alive is a miracle.

I will say that alcohol burns the gills and definately will have some negative effects. If he is alive now, and you have changed a good chunk of water then I'ld have to ask, does the water still smell like booze? if not then all you can do is wait.

he died, didnt make it :(

Im giving his tank a good scrubdown and let it recycle before I add other fish. Im not risking that vodka killing others, no matter how thinned down or 'safe' it may be.

PlainsFish said:
he died, didnt make it :(

Im giving his tank a good scrubdown and let it recycle before I add other fish. Im not risking that vodka killing others, no matter how thinned down or 'safe' it may be.

I'm so sorry. Wonder if you could get your ex for destruction of property.

Probably not for a fish. if it was a salt water tank, then yes, possibly since salties are much more expensive and such, irreplacable. Fresh I dont think so, especially for a 15 gal and 1 fish.

You need to get him out of the 15 gallon tank and into at least a 45 gallon tank, where he belongs.

im really sorry to hear about that incident. Some people have no respect for life. Just a question though... for future reference, wouldn't it have been better to get the fish out, declor some water in a big bucket or tub and put it in there at the right temp? I had a bad sitation a few years ago that alcohol was dropped in the tank on accident (while in college) and i immediatly removed the fish and put them in fresh water dechlored it and got it about the same temp. Im sure it isn't the best thing to do because of the shock and stress of a move to new water, but it has to be better than water with alcohol in it. P.S. i only lost one fish out of about 15

Sorry to hear your story. I'd have your ex's @$$ kicked and have him give you money for the fish. P.S. Get a restraining order on him. It'll save you a lot of future hassall.

Back
Top Bottom