help a newbie with dropsy... PLEASE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappieBridget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal. with an aqua-tech 10-20, 120 GPH filter (tank has been up for 2 months, old filter was replaced with new one a week ago) living in the tank is :
3 skirt tetras (2 small, 1 large)
1 red tail shark
1 small pleco
1 tiny otto
2 medium female platies
1 medium male swordtail

the water parameters are:
temp.-80
ph-6.8 (was 6 and falling even with 10% daily PWC with dechlorinator and gravel vacc'd every time, so I used the PH tabs)
ammonia- .5-1 ppm (just now having a problem with this)
nitrite-.25 (went up a little bit, could it be from the ph tabs I put in?)
KH and GH - 17.9 ppm (I started using aquarium salt and hoped the ph tabs would help this also)
I feed tetra tropical flakes, peas and just discontinued feeding frozen bloodworms and am switching to freeze dried worms 1x every other day)

my sunset platy had some fry a week ago and now has dropsy, clearly with swollen belly and fanning scales. I used the fungus clear tonight hoping for improvement (in my community tank because a few of my tetras have what looks like tail rot but it's been stable since I've had them). Here are my questions:

1. I really didn't want to mess with the PH but I was worried about the fry. Was that a mistake?

2. Am I having a mini-cycle because of the medicines? I know it's sort of a chain reaction how the ammonia turns into nitrite and then into nitrate.

3. How long will it take to see improvement with the fungus clear? The box says 1 tab for each 10 gal. and repeat in 4 days if needed. So if she's not better by 4 days, I should do it again? Will this alter the chemistry of my tank?

If there is anything I'm doing wrong, please point it out for me? You are way more educated in this fish keeping hobby than I am but I'm addicted and dedicated and loving it and just want healthy fish and to learn how to keep them that way and expand my fishy family. Thank you!

The mini cycle was most likely caused by the filter replacement.
How much was the ph falling?
Dropsy is difficult to cure IMO, any chance of QT'ing the affected fish and treating only that fish? Dropsy is usually brought on by other causes. If there is to be any improvement you probably will see it in a few days. The meds are not supposed to alter the chemistry of the tank but I'm not totally convinced of that.

I can't remember the specific application for Jungle fungus clear but I don't think it is a treatment for dropsy. Nalagram or Maracyn II work better for dropsy IMO.
Do you have active carbon in your filter? If so remove it. If you are planning on switching meds you will have to do a larger water change and run the filter with carbon for a few hours at least, then remove the carbon and add the new meds according to the directions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

My PH was 7, even from the tap. It fell rather quickly to 6 and off of my MTK chart, so I started doing the PWC every day trying to get it up, only up to 6 and down the next day. I know it's common for very soft water to have PH swings easily. What can I do about this? I read about adding crushed coral or a sea shell. I happen to have some shells, but should I put one in? I'd rather add something natural and safe then chemicals because they seem to do more harm than good. I took out the carbon before medicting. I don't want to add any other meds to the tank so I will QT the sickie and hope she gets better. The fungus clear says it's for dropsy but like everything in existance, nothing is %100! Thanks!

What is your KH. i would imagine it is very low. If it is you can add a little bag of CC to your filter. It will raise your buffer slowly and keep it that way for several months. PH swings are not a good thing.

my water is very soft. my water turns from clear to yellow with 1 drop of testing solution which says 17.9 ppm. Where can I get some CC?

If the fungus clear says it treats dropsy then try it. LOL that is why I said I couldn't remember positively. My memory is not always 100%. Crushed coral can be purchased at the lfs but maybe rich knows a cheaper place to get it.

For what its worth, I've used the Jungle Fungus Clear Tablets to treat and cure dropsy before. However, dropsy is a side effect of an internal illness, like Zagz mentioned. So, it could be a bacterial issue that is causing it, but IME, that is the exception rather than the rule. :)

Good luck!

How did you follow up once you used the tabs? Did you just let them disolve and carry on your tank as usual or did you wait a few hours, do a big water change to remove some meds., or something else? I waited about 6 hours and then when I looked at my tank, my black skirt tetras were clear! It looked like they were half dead so I immediatly did almost a 50% water change and they got there color back and are fine now. The sick fish however doesn't look any better, maybe worse and I've done epsom salt dips yesterday and today for her.

I just dosed the tank. Did a water change a few days later (I think, don't remember exactly, sorry). My fish were fine through it. Did you just turn the lights on in your tank when you noticed they were lighter? How are the fish now? You likely took out half the meds now with your water change. The back of the box should give you specific instructions on water changes and treatment.

HTH, and good luck.

yeah, I did just turn the lights on. That can cause color loss? I'm not medicating anymore. If I had a extra tank I would QT the sick fish in there. I had a 3 gal pail I use for water changes, maybe I could put her in there but I don't have an extra pump for aeration. Would she be ok in something like that? She's getting worse and worse progressively today. I know she got ill from being weak after dropping the fry. She is also having stringy, white feces. Is that the main problem that caused the dropsy? I have gel-tek internal worm food, should I use that on her or my whole tank if it is an internal parasite?

yeah, I did just turn the lights on. That can cause color loss?

Fish naturally fade their colors overnight. Completely normal, and nothing at all to worry about.

Stringy white feces is usually an indication of parasites, yes. I would continue with the Fungus Clear and start using the gel-tek. Rather that is the sole cause of your dropsy is hard to tell. If you stop treating, she will die within a day or two, is my guess. Sorry. :(

I put her in a bucket for QT with some fungus clear and epsom salt and praying for a miracle. That fungus med is so harsh stuff. My tank looked like anti-freeze. Thanks again for you help and I'll keep you posted;}

Back
Top Bottom