Help! Angelfish Mouth??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppygourami

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone. I have a 23G (setting up a much larger tank soon, I know it's too small) with a young angelfish pair and their 18 or so fry (more than a month old now). I've had the tank for a bit more than a year and I haven't had this problem before. My female angel's mouth is wide open and it seems like it's gasping, and there's white stuff around the mouth. I have an AQ50 on the tank and I do water changes and gravel vaccuums every three days or so, around 30% changes. None of the other fish have this problem and I've been observing it in this angel for two days now. Is it mouth fungus? Is it contagious? I have Melafix and Pimafix but can I treat the tank with the fry in here? I also have API Fungus Cure. I have a 10G I can set up if I have to temporarily put the fry in there. Sorry for the bad quality pictures.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470929272.689334.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470929287.215277.jpg

I'm not sure with the fry. I've used these with Molly fry with no issues but go for a lighter dose if you do.

I can't really tell from the photo. Normally I'll try pimafix in tank for an easy win and then shift to a QT for more treatment if not responding there or getting worse.

I'm not sure with the fry. I've used these with Molly fry with no issues but go for a lighter dose if you do.

I can't really tell from the photo. Normally I'll try pimafix in tank for an easy win and then shift to a QT for more treatment if not responding there or getting worse.

Okay. I went with 8mL instead of the usual 10 (for 20G) and my tank is 23G so hopefully that's fine. How many days should I wait? And is it
normal for her mouth to be wide open? She isn't eating much and is less chipper than usual.

Okay. I went with 8mL instead of the usual 10 (for 20G) and my tank is 23G so hopefully that's fine. How many days should I wait? And is it
normal for her mouth to be wide open? She isn't eating much and is less chipper than usual.

Usually I give it say three or four days to make a difference. So I'll use it mid-week and then if not improving or getting worse at any stage, then over to QT. Quite often I'll start with a half dose.

The mouth wide open is strange, I'm hoping that is related and not say a dislocated jaw. Assuming related.

Nothing you can see in gills or mouth?

Usually I give it say three or four days to make a difference. So I'll use it mid-week and then if not improving or getting worse at any stage, then over to QT. Quite often I'll start with a half dose.

The mouth wide open is strange, I'm hoping that is related and not say a dislocated jaw. Assuming related.

Nothing you can see in gills or mouth?

Got it. Her mouth is practically gaping open and there's white stuff around it. I checked the gills but there isn't anything unusual about them for as far as I can tell. I can take some better pictures in a couple days.

Got it. Her mouth is practically gaping open and there's white stuff around it. I checked the gills but there isn't anything unusual about them for as far as I can tell. I can take some better pictures in a couple days.

If it's really bad than I'd go straight onto antibiotics. Pima and mela ime won't do much if the infection has built up.

Eg

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fungus-guard-tabs-8pk

Thanks for those but it's all cleared up today! I'm going to put a little bit tomorrow just in case but the dose from yesterday and today fixed it up and she looks totally healthy now, eating, cottonmouth gone and no open mouth. Fry look fine too. Thanks for the help Delapool!

Thanks for those but it's all cleared up today! I'm going to put a little bit tomorrow just in case but the dose from yesterday and today fixed it up and she looks totally healthy now, eating, cottonmouth gone and no open mouth. Fry look fine too. Thanks for the help Delapool!

Sounds good - I do find a light dose just as effective as a full dose and if it's going to work, it will be in the first few days. I dose lightly now as female fish in my tank don't seem to agree with it and everything I've read suggests overdosing doesn't achieve much / risky to do so (mainly posts regarding bettas though).

Sounds good - I do find a light dose just as effective as a full dose and if it's going to work, it will be in the first few days. I dose lightly now as female fish in my tank don't seem to agree with it and everything I've read suggests overdosing doesn't achieve much / risky to do so (mainly posts regarding bettas though).

I agree. I will continue to dose for a couple days but much smaller amounts. Just to be safe. Thanks for your help Delapool.

It could be fungus. But, his happened to my pair of double black angelfish too. It's because they were fighting mouth to mouth and caused this. For me the damage was unfixable now they always have that.

"My Corals do Better Than Fish."

It could be fungus. But, his happened to my pair of double black angelfish too. It's because they were fighting mouth to mouth and caused this. For me the damage was unfixable now they always have that.

"My Corals do Better Than Fish."

My angels do the whole lip-locking thing a lot (they are a pair). Maybe that's why

Bad news. I stopped the Pimafix after two days of no cottonmouth and now she's showing other symptoms. Clamped fins, not as lively, sitting at the back of the tank. Help?

Back
Top Bottom