HELP Arowana with fungus and not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maro1107

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a silver arowana that is about 10 inches long and is in a 135 gallon tank. On Halloween I had done a 25% water change and vacuumed about half of the sand in the bottom of the tank. The next day two of the gourami started spawning (they've never done that before). Then the arowana started to not eat and swimming around the bottom of the tank (he never does that except when he eats). For about 6 days now he has had a fungus around his face that has now moved down his back fins. I went to the local fish store and they recommended something for bacterial infections (f-light was their brand name, it's a yellow powder capsule). I have been doing that as directed for 4 days along with turning the temperature up to 85 degrees as recommended and he is slowly getting worse. He now has the fungus on both eyes and around the holes near his mouth. We already lost the rainbow shark that was in the tank with him but everyone else is fine (4 other gourami's and a pleco).

Any suggestions on how to treat him? At first I didn't think it was ich but could it be? I'm going back to the fish store today but thought I would also ask on here.

Over the last week I have done two 30% water changes also and checked all the levels (PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, etc) and everything seems fine. PH was about 6.8 Nitrate was high for a couple days prior to the water changes and is now in the safe zone, Nitrite is 0, water hardness is moderate.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. :cry:

First it started around one eye and then spread down his back fins. To me it looks like dust. Or like mold but white (that fuzzy look). It's not tiny dots lick ich although he now has those tiny dots on one eye.

One thing I didn't mention was that the tank has been set up since January 2004, had one case of ich in March 2004 which we lost 3 clown loaches to, and has the sump tank type filtration.

Well, there are acouple of good broad spectrum anti-fungals available (not anti-bacterials)...you may wish to try one of those. It is unusual to see a > 8" aro with this sort of infection, though.

Back
Top Bottom